This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
Home Discord Wiki Characters Players Joining Guide Search
[STAKE OUT] The Horror, The Legend, The Toad
Core Quest  — Informants (+anyone else)
Loves: 1 ·
Height
Occupation
Class
0'2"
Variable
Stake Out
If you go down in the woods today, you're sure of a big surprise
Ribbit.

Ribbit.

The calls had been loud and clear and most of all they had been angry. Someone had disturbed the toads that resided in the Dust Fields, so much so that one had come out during the hot season and begun to complain about the lack of water. With it's venemous spurred feet, it couldn't be allowed to freely wander - the last thing this lockdown needed was a series of poisoned Drenchers.

So, Toady Gumgee, resident Toad expert, had put out the call. To anyone who felt themselves suitable for Toad-hunting, perhaps those with an eye for tracking and following. Perhaps...those used to gathering information?

Armed with his toadin' net, stun gun and rubber gloves, he stood at the edge of the Dust Fields, wiry hair blowing in the wind as his face remained stone-still with determination: They were gonna catch them that frog.

---
This is a STAKE OUT CORE QUEST for INFORMANTS! Participating in this counts for the stake out requirement for levelling.

Anyone is welcome to join regardless of vocation. The thread will move on on 05/03/23.

For participating in this thread characters will receive a +1 bonus to dexerity for the rest of this and the next season. There may also be an extra secret reward B)

Please post with your character arriving at the scene!
If you go down in the woods today, you'd better go in disguise
Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him/His
0'
Radio DJ/Information Broker
Inactive
Adam
Maybe I'm my own greatest fear
It was hardly sexy work, but it was something to do and new skills to learn. With no new missions up in the Plates with Arbiter Jr right now and a difficulty doing much at all with the lockdown in place, Adam was beginning to consider new careers. Maybe toad-catching was it.

Probably not, but you know, maybe.

Sidling up to the strange man in the Dust Fields with his hands in his pockets and a raised eyebrow, he prepared himself to do some dirty work, his least favourite thing. In his tight leather clothes and obscene amount of rings and bracelets, it would be clear he hadn't really prepared for it. Still, he was here and would try his best to catch this toad and...eat it? Kill it? Adam didn't know shit about nature.
Maybe I'm too scared to admit that
Height
Occupation
Class
She/Her
5'7"
Server/Barback
Inactive
you can throw me to the wolves
Ira
Hunting giant poisonous toads in the middle of the blazing Kivan sounds like a weird time. A chance of a weird fun kind of adventure that she simply can't pass on. Even if she is not sure how much she will be able to do, she decides to join in anyway. Sure, most people could follow a trail of footprints in the mud, but she can't claim she has any experience in tracking specific frogs.

She's partially dressed for the heat and partially too exposed to the sun in her long cargo pants, sturdy boots and sleeveless laced-up top. At least nothing of it is expensive and too fragile the dust and mud of the fields. She joins the gathering with an excited and curious look on her face, crossing her arms over her chest after coming to a halt next to the others and she looks out over the fields of dust. This is bound to be interesting.
tomorrow I will come back leader of the whole pack

The reader of this text has standing permission for responsible powerplay and to use physical/magical force against this character.
Instant killing and permanently maiming not included.
Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him
6'
Unemployed
Inactive
I am asking myself
when will I learn
Cian has decided he will not care that he's got no knowledge of toads or much about nature in general. He will be happy if he just manages to be a fraction of helpful, as he at this point is willing to throw out hooks in more or less any direction in hopes of catching something that could lead him to other work. Perhaps joining on on a toad hunt is a good start. At least he can walk alright again now.

He is already regretting leaving the dark shade of the city by the time he arrives. Cursing the sun and the heat in his mind, but he holds any comments about it to himself. He chose this himself, after all. Stopping a little bit away from the others, but close enough to listen in to anything being said he tries his best to not feel too out of place.
CIAN

The reader of this text has standing permission for responsible powerplay and to use physical/magical force against this character.

Height
Occupation
Class
She/Her
5'4"
Soldier
Inactive
Savera
I've trusted lies and trusted men
Enough recovery time has passed that she is being sent out on simple missions again, which, thank the Saints. So when word came out that a juvenile giant spurred toad was causing havoc and would someone please keep an eye on things so the Drenchers didn't set everything on fire in pursuit of it, Savera was quick to volunteer.

Now as she stands at the edge of a motley group, the only one who seems even remotely prepared, the young soldier cannot help but have a few regrets. Her summer uniform, while comfortable, makes her stick out like a sore thumb. Her pistol and sword hang like threats at her hips, even as she tries very hard to appear authoritative, not menacing, on the edge of the group. The black mask she wears to hide her identity is far less intense than that of an Enforcer, but even so, she can feel sweat beading on her lips and chin, and beneath the visor of her cap.

It's going to be a long, hot, unpleasant day, but hey, at least she's out.
broke down and put myself
back together again
Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him
6'
Enforcer
Inactive
SUNJATA
don't know what you're thinking of
do i chip away or keep defenses up?
It’s truthfully, a long con. Volunteering to get to the stake out for the strange toad in the Drench, very similarly to how Savera had got here, only Sunjata doesn’t intend to stay or return to the Plates. Yes, he’s dressed up in most of the gear received as an Enforcer, but in the bag upon his back carries a change of clothes, one that he’s quick to change into if only to alleviate some of the heat. So when eh arrives, he’s dressed in dark clothes yet again, but without the armor and the plating that are required for such a profession.

He hangs back, however, keeping himself mostly hidden away, a hat atop his head and a scarf to mask his face, blocking out the majority of the signifiers that prove he is who he is. He spies Cian and Savera and Adam in the mix, though in an effort to not make anything more difficult, he avoid them the best he can, hanging back to listen in.
don't make a sound, if it gets too loud
will you hear me come around?
Height
Occupation
Class
0'2"
Variable
Stake Out
If you go down in the woods today, you're sure of a big surprise
Wow, what a turn out!

Ol' Toady had never had so many turn up to a tracking before. Surely they'd get their slippery catch before he could even poison a fly! Once it seemed no one else would be arriving, he stood before the group with a wide grin, hands on bony hips. "Well, I sure didn't expect to see so many, and so many up-to-do Platers too! Ah - If you don't mind my saying." A cheeky grin was given to those from above (obvious by their clothes and lack of dead eyes).

"Alright, so first step of toad-huntin' is to look out for the right kinda tracks. Thing is, these critters leave big old holes around everywhere where they flop down, so the tracks ain't normal to look at." Holding up a hand drawn picture of some vague animal footprints leading into a wide dent in the ground, Toady shook it for effect. "So, I'm gonna ask all of ya to look around for anything unusual, anything that looks like this - then call me over to check it. Don't wanna be following the wrong thing."

The Dust fields spread out before them, with 3 general directions to go:

1. To the East, where tall reeds and marshes would make it difficult to spot anything on the ground - but then again, maybe the toad was depending on that.
2. To the North, where soft silt and mud would make tracks likely, but traversing difficult.
3. To the West, where baking heat cracked the earth in parts and shrivelled plants in others. Not many places to hide, but unpleasant to be in.

---

Post with which direction your character wants to go and start looking in for tracks~
This thread will continue in 3 days (10/03/2023)
If you go down in the woods today, you'd better go in disguise
Height
Occupation
Class
She/Her
5'7"
Server/Barback
Inactive
you can throw me to the wolves
Ira
Ira just gives the other arrivals a brief glance, except for Savera. Her eyes stop on the uniform and the weapons for a second longer and her lip twitches up in an almost contemptuous sneer before she turns her attention to Toady. She's there to hunt for a toad after all, not pick a fight with the Platers.

Maybe one of them would have an accidental fall face first in the mud or ontop of the toad itself later.

She listens closely and tries to put the image of the track to memory. Not that they look very difficult to confuse with other tracks, but who knows. Maybe there's something out there making similar tracks. She gives Toady a thumbs-up as if to say she has understood the instructions, then makes her way north to brave the silt in hunt for tracks. Quietly hoping she will be in luck and the armed Plater wouldn't want to get her uniform muddy and head in another direction.

{Ira heads North}
tomorrow I will come back leader of the whole pack

Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him
6'
Unemployed
Inactive
I am asking myself
when will I learn
He makes his way closer to listen and to get a better look at the drawing being held up, deciding to not pay the others much attention. Figuratively keeping his head down and focus on the task at hand. Ignoring the gnawing paranoia at the brief glimpse of what had looked like an uniform and weapons. It is not as if he's doing anything suspicious or illegal at the moment, but in his opinion he had not done so that one time either and still got problems for it.

As to where to go, he takes a moment to look in each direction and none of them feels very tempting. Eventually, he chooses to head for the dry land, feeling more up for baking in the sun than go swimming in mud and marshes. Perhaps the ground is too hard to allow for proper tracks, but at least he could walk on it without sinking. He keeps his eyes on the ground, moving slowly and minding where he's stepping to not kick up too much dust over anything that could be of importance.

{Cian heads West}
CIAN

Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him/His
0'
Radio DJ/Information Broker
Inactive
Adam
Maybe I'm my own greatest fear
Pulling himself up from a slouched lean against the wall, tossing a cigarette butt under his foot to stomp out, Adam looked over the directions they could go on this toad hunt. Having no knowledge of amphibian preferences he only considered his own and the way that involved the least mud would preserve his boots the best. Being more in the heat hardly sounded appealing, but...he pulled off his shirt and followed after Cian.

"You ever caught a poisonous toad before?" He asked jokingly, sure that the answer would be no, walking along with his hands in his pockets looking side to side but not expecting to see much.

---
Adam goes West.
Maybe I'm too scared to admit that