This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
Home Discord Wiki Characters Players Joining Guide Search
it was a dark and stormy morning
Private  — For Ira
Loves: 0 ·
Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him/His
0'
Radio DJ/Information Broker
Inactive
Tell the crowd, tell the world
I want everyone to get high
"True, at least they don't usually send down the hard ass Captains." Sometimes there were Enforcers who certainly thought themselves to be more important than they really were, but it was pretty rare the Plates actually sent anyone of note down into the Drench. Those who had achieved a higher rank tended to use their leverage to get a cushy desk job in DEPOT.

Thankfully it seemed they both understood the urgency of moving to safety from the rain - Adam didn't hesitate, once he saw Ira move, to make his own way up the car. He'd spent many years now climbing and scrambling in the Drench and was up there in record time, holding onto the surprisingly solid door frame and watching Ira climb, making sure she got there. Once she did, he slipped into the front of the car, immediately shutting the door and leaning against it, putting his feet up on the center console.

"Should've noticed, sorry." He mumbled the apology, looking up out of the dirty windshield at the now-numerous raindrops falling onto the glass. "..Might stop quickly. Til then..." Adam shifted up and rooted around in his pocket until he found what he was looking for and produced a poorly rolled and stored joint, but a joint nonetheless. "..Wouldst thou like to partake, m'lady?"
Tell the press, tell the cameras
ADAM
Base Code by Sky!
Height
Occupation
Class
She/Her
5'7"
Server/Barback
Inactive
ira
She looks out a side window and watches as the rain has already started to turn the ground below into a treacherous muddy mess and they really made it out of there just in time. Fortunately, the car seems to be sitting firmly on the pile and it doesn't feel like it is about to tip and slide down, but she still moves carefully as she stretches her legs out across the seat and leans her back against the door.

"S'fine. I should've paid attention to the weather too." She offers Adam a small, apologetic smile and turns her head to look back out at the rain until he speaks again. The "m'lady" part has her huff in a short laugh and she shakes her head at it. "Oh please... She mutters softly with an amused look, then regards the joint for a second before shrugging. "Why not. Not much else to do than just sit here and wait anyway."

If they are lucky, the rain will be over in a few minutes, but it could just as well go on for an hour. Hopefully they won't have to build a raft to make it back home later. "Got any fun stories to share? Or anything, really." Being stuck in an old car on top of a junk pile in the rain seems like a good a bonding opportunity as any. They will just have to do without the whiskey bottle this time.

The reader of this text has standing permission for responsible powerplay and to use physical/magical force against this character.
Instant killing and permanently maiming not included.
Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him/His
0'
Inactive
A busted old lighter was produced that made a surprisingly strong flame when struck and Adam took an inhale of the acrid smoke before passing the joint back to Ira. The smell would make it clear it wasn't the most expensive or nice stuff, but it was smokable and would probably make one feel a bit more relaxed, if nothing else.

"Hmm...okay." The thing that came to mind was not something he would usually share, but something about the closed-in enviroment of the car made it seem okay. Secrets were safe in here, with the already-pounding rain obfuscating noise from outside. "How about...you won'tve been around then, but you've heard of the riots of 1222? Where the revolutionary leader was killed and the Plates got a big boner and made everything worse for everyone after?" It was a staple of Drench history. A horror story and a tragedy that made its way into every dinner conversation even all these years later - he was sure she would have heard of it.
ADAM
Base Code by Sky!
Height
Occupation
Class
She/Her
5'7"
Server/Barback
Inactive
ira
The sharp scent from the smoke spreading through the car has her wrinkle her nose a tiny bit at first, but she quickly gets used to it and she leans forward to reach for the joint when Adam passes it over to her. She takes a drag of it and cocks her head to the side while listening.

"Mh, was a few years before I was born. Heard a bit of this and a bit of that about it. Some complaining about it fucking things up more for the rest of us. Heard a few praise it for at least trying to do something and it just has to be done right "next time"." She lifts her shoulders in a small shrug, not being the one to listen in much on people bringing up talk of revolutions in one way or the other. Often it was people not being too subtle in their public talk of ideas and potential plans and she tries to ignore what she overhears, going with the less she knows, the less likely she might be questioned about it.

Perhaps it's a bit of paranoid thinking about the risks of being dragged into something, but it at least made her feel safer being as little involved as possible.

However, she can't help but feel some amount of curiosity now over where Adam might go with it. She takes another short drag before passing the joint back to him and then leans back in the seat with a soft sigh, watching the smoke drift towards the ceiling as she exhales it. "You've got some juicy details about it or something?" She asks and regards him curiously with a small grin.

The reader of this text has standing permission for responsible powerplay and to use physical/magical force against this character.
Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him/His
0'
Inactive
Ira had heard the same thing as every other Drench kid growing up in the wake of that revolution. Adam nodded along, familiar with all of it. Of course, the words had stung and meant a little more to him and his mother when he was growing up, but they'd all been subject to them so many times it barely bothered him now.

"Yep, that's all right." He took the joint back, working it back and forth in his fingers for a moment as he wondered why he'd started this topic of conversation. A part of him wanted to talk about it, but now the part talking was the one saying ADAM, DO NOT TELL HER THIS.

Too late now, though.

He took a hit, tilted his head from side to side with an awkward smile. "Not...really. I mean, I guess. Depends on what you think're juicy details. Basically, uh, the guy that ran that whole thing? That died? That was my dad." Adam met Ira's eyes, wondering if she'd even care about this secret.
ADAM
Base Code by Sky!
Height
Occupation
Class
She/Her
5'7"
Server/Barback
Inactive
ira
She sinks a bit further into the seat and leans her head back a bit while Adam seems to be working out what to say, some effect of the smoke slowly drifting over her. She isn't sure herself what sort of details she is expecting. Perhaps some details no one else knew about the how and why. Some alternative gossip about what had happened, maybe. She has not given the story much thought herself, other than noting that shit happened and it did not go well for those involved.

When he tells her the leader of the whole thing was his dad, she spends the first couple of seconds not reacting. Just looking back at him. Then her brow pinch together in a small frown and she blinks a few times in a bit of confusion. "Wait... He was?" She sits up properly in the seat with a more surprised expression. "Man, that's..."

She leans back in the seat again and her look turns more sympathetic. It isn't the revolution leader part that has her react the most. It's the being dead part that seems to stick to her and she shakes her head slowly after a short moment of silence. "M'sorry to hear... Really sucks to lose a parent when you're young... Or at all, I guess." She mumbles, sounding like she's speaking from experience.

Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him/His
0'
Inactive
Oh no. No, no, no. As Adam saw sympathy come over Ira's face, he wanted to sink into the seat, out of the bottom of the car and roll away. He hadn't brought up his father to garner pity and the thought of that made him want to cringe into the next era. "I mean, yeah, sure, but uh--" He skimmed over parental loss with an impressive speed and trying desperately to sound casual, continued: "-- I more just wanted to tell you cos it's like, a cool fact. I don't care he's dead. Uh, well, no, I do care, but--"

He gave up and put his hand in his hands, only moving one to pass the joint back over to Ira before it went right back over his face. "I was just trying to say. You know, that's a thing. Don't like people feeling sorry for me."
ADAM
Base Code by Sky!
Height
Occupation
Class
She/Her
5'7"
Server/Barback
Inactive
ira
Adam's reaction takes her a bit by surprise and she glances away out the window as he looks like he wants to disappear. She gives him a brief questioning look when he first says he doesn't care and she quickly realises she may have turned the attention to the wrong details of his story, but it had just resonated more with her than the whole rebellion thing. She isn't too used to personal discussions. It was easy easier with people at the bar telling stories about their lives or complaining about one thing or the other. Offering them a "I'm sorry" and another drink is just what they want.

Not that she had said sorry to Adam just because she thought it was something he wanted to hear. She had actually meant it, it just seems to have backfired a bit.

"Didn't really mean it as feeling sorry for you,  just..." She mumbles as she holds the joint between her lips after having taken it when Adam offered, but then shakes her head without continuing the sentence. She keeps from saying she meant she can relate, but doesn't since she gets the feeling that Adam doesn't want to linger on the dead parents part. And in another way, she probably can't relate since being killed by someone and dying from other causes are just not the same.

"Guess your dad's pretty famous then. Or infamous, depending on who's talking about it." She isn't sure what to say, but wants to keep any awkward silence at bay. Shaking her head as if trying to clear it, she offers the joint back to Adam. He looks like he needs it more than her.

Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him/His
0'
Inactive
Feeling the awful sinking in his chest as he realised how awkward he'd just made it, Adam tried to put on a reassuring smile through the cringe that his face wanted to make. "No, I know, it's uh, cool. I shouldn't have brought it up. I dunno." When it came to his dad being famous, the smile grew a little more genuine, then he shook his head and looked away, focusing on the raindrops running down the window opposite.

The rain fell hard on the roof of the car, so loud that it almost drowned out the desire Adam had to sink below the car, roll away and never speak to Ira again.

Once he'd decided enough time listening to the rain and passing the joint back and forth had passed, he moved onto a much less dangerous topic: "Okay, let's play a game while we wait. Would you rather fuck the Arbiter or live in the grimiest Drench apartment they've got going?" And those apartments could get very grimy.
ADAM
Base Code by Sky!
Height
Occupation
Class
She/Her
5'7"
Server/Barback
Inactive
ira
She returns his smile with a small one of her own and nods a couple of times, but remains silent as her slow-moving thoughts fail to give her something proper to say. So instead, she picks a window of her own to look at the rain through as they silently pass the join between each other. At least Adam did not escape the car to leave and never talk to her again. She is hanging out with so very few people outside of work nowadays, reducing that tiny number with one would just be sad.

Adam's voice cuts through to whatever place her mind had wandered away to in the silence and she turns her attention back to him, giving him a curious look when he mentions a game. Then there's another second of silence before she huffs out a laugh at the question. "Saints... Alright..." She sinks down to lie across the backseat and puts her arms behind her head.

"I'd take the apartment any day. Grime I can deal with. No amount of soaking in bleach daily would be able to wash the Arbiter off me." She lets out a disgusted groan and rubs her face with a hand as if she's trying to get rid of mental images she really doesn't want to have. "Which would you choose? And if you say the Arbiter, I might kick you out of this car". She says in jest and gives Adam a teasing grin.