This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
Home Discord Wiki Characters Players Joining Guide Search
Dark skies that hang above
Open  — For anyone!
Loves: 0 ·
Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him
6'
Unemployed
Inactive
CIAN
The offer brings an expression of clear surprise to Cian's face, and not any kind of joyful surprise either. It is more a "you've got to be joking"-kind of surprised look, but he bites his tongue before he can actually say that out loud. This is not a time for that kind of attitude and the last thing he wants is to anger Samuel. He already has a feeling that his replies are not satisfying enough as it is. So instead, he decides to just try and play along a bit.

"Thanks... For the offer." He says in a very hesitant manner while still trying to work through the initial surprise and confusion over why he of all people got the offer. "I had plans to go back home the moment one is allowed to leave the city, but... I guess I can keep it in mind. Just in case." He hopes that will be a good enough answer. As long as he is not straight out making any promises, perhaps pretending to be a bit more cooperative might keep him in the clear.

As for Sunjata, the concerned look returns to Cian when Sam continues. Now, Cian can't claim he actually knows Sunjata well and Sam could very well be telling the truth that the Bratena heir does indeed have a tendency to do illogical things. When it comes to the father's worry, he doesn't have a reason to doubt it much either. He knows there is some disagreement between the two about the arranged engagement Sunjata told him about, and he has picked up that there is some tension between them in general. He knows nothing about the more... Abusive details, however.

To continue to walk the path of not seeming to go in full blind defense of Sunjata, he nods slowly. "I truly don't know where he is, but I can always keep my eyes and ears open." At least his concern is genuine and he doesn't lie when he says he can keep an eye out. He does what to know if Sunjata is alright or not. If he is going to pass on any information he comes over, however, is another matter.

The reader of this text has standing permission for responsible powerplay and to use physical/magical force against this character.
Instant killing and permanently maiming not included.

Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him/His
5'4"
Strategic Advisor
Inactive
Samuel
But for now I've no peace and a million seconds
The flicker of what almost looked like terror in Cian's eyes made it clear he wouldn't be an Enforcer-in-training any time soon; Sam swallowed a smile to himself. Those that opposed the Plates, that preferred chaos to order, always seemed to falter when it actually came to fighting and facing the world. As expected.

"Mmm. And...I forget, where is it you call home?" He asked, carefully trying to keep his tone casual. If Cian knew Sam a little better, he'd know he never forgot a detail about a prisoner, but he hoped their distance would serve him.

A few leaves not yet rotten from the rain breezed past them along the ground. Sam reached out one foot to stop them, catching a leaf with the toe of his boot and watching it flip up and down in the wind. "Good. He's been sighted with some truly dangerous Drenchers. Drug dealers, traitors." The kinds of men he was sure a good citizen like Cian knew none of.
Tick-tocking away in my brain

Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him
6'
Unemployed
Inactive
CIAN
Sam is correct about that part; Cian is not the type made out to be an Enforcer. He doesn't have the mentality to be a good one. At least not what the people here seem to consider "good enforcers", if he is to judge by how he has seen them act himself. Like at the masquerade festival and at the diner. Apart from that, he really isn't brave when it comes to violence. Rather be backing down, even choosing flight, than to stay and fight if he can help it. It is not that he prefers chaos, he just doesn't want to be part in the Plates' armed bully squad.

His gaze grows a hint more suspicious when asked about where his home is, but still continues to not keep up too much of a defense. "Garanenz" He mutters and his mind goes back to an old idea of trying to get out of the city and hike across the border. Though the idea is, as always, as quickly thrown aside as it appears. He'd never get past the guard patrols around the outskirts of the city, he is sure, and even if he did, he is still not sure he would be able to find his way safely. Being out on foot like that is not something he's got experience in.

The leaves steals his attention for a few seconds and he watches them drift by in the wind, and slowly nods again to what Sam says. He doesn't know of any drug dealers or traitors. Not that he is aware of, at least and when it comes to who is called a traitor... It really depends on who you are asking. Which side they are on and all that. "Would be unfortunate if he got hurt. Though... If he's been sighted, how come you haven't found him already?" He asks after a short silence and glances back to Sam.

The reader of this text has standing permission for responsible powerplay and to use physical/magical force against this character.

Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him/His
5'4"
Strategic Advisor
Inactive
Samuel
"Ah yes, that's right. Garanenz." Sam nodded to himself, as if recalling the information just as Cian said it. "Very forward-thinking place, I've heard. A lot of our best technology comes from there." As was the case basically everywhere in Kotoll; if there was to be a technological advancement, it was likely to come from Garanenz. It was interesting, then, that Cian seemed sympathetic to those in the Drench that aimed to hold the city back. "Do you intend to ever return to Unk'Kotoll?"

After the pause in their conversation, Cian asked what was obviously meant to be a sarcastic kind of question. Sam took in a sharp breath, forced himself to not reprimand the man for his cheek, and shook his head. "If one Enforcer sees him in the Drench, it is unwise to capture him alone. The Drench has an advantage over us in their own territory, and that is their numbers. Like rats, they swarm. So the Enforcer returns with a report, but by the time he is here with it, our heir has moved on."

Of course, there was also the matter that Sunjata had been caught by Nate's clinic, somewhere Sam had a vested interest in not investigating. Against all evidence, he prayed they might find the location had nothing to do with the Arbiter's son.

Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him
6'
Unemployed
Inactive
CIAN
Cian just gives some small nods and short hums to Sam's talk about Garanenz. An uneasy feeling tries to sneak over him again and he can't figure out why. "To early to say. Think I just want to spend at least an equal amount of time at home first before I travel anywhere again." He mutters in a bit of a short tone and hopes to nudge the conversation further away from himself and his home. And it might work, as his question seems to agitate Sam somewhat. Not what he had intended, but he realises he might have reached a bit across the line with questioning why they had not already taken in Sunjata if he had been seen.

It is interesting for him, however, to learn that the enforcers might not be as forward aggressive down in the Drench as he had experienced them on the Plates. At least not if they are few in numbers and he stores it away for whatever possible use he might have of it in the future. "Of course. It is probably wise to not cause a scene. You are probably doing all you can to bring him back to safety and as I said, I can keep my eyes open... Though it is like a huge dark maze down there. One can really hide anywhere."

Not that he can't decide what he thinks really is safety is for Sunjata at the moment, but he just wants to keep Sam from becoming too annoyed with him. Keep himself from saying something insulting before he can think his words through five times before speaking. The urge to find an excuse to escape mixes itself in with that uneasy feeling he's having, but he is sure that if he just excuses himself and tries to walk away, it would be way too suspicious.

Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him/His
5'4"
Strategic Advisor
Inactive
Samuel
"A wise idea." Sam agreed, letting the implication stay in the air by itself: stay away. With Sunjata being as much of a loose cannon as he was and the growing tensions in the Drench, the last thing they needed was people from other states coming in to stoke the fires.

The comments about Sunjata were surprisingly measured - obviously controlled and thought about, but still had nothing Sam could really object to about them. He nodded curtly and then, luckily for Cian, decided he had heard enough. Either Cian really didn't know anything about Sunjata's location, or he was determined not to reveal it. Sam knew he was not a skilled enough negotiator to pull that truth out if it was there; he stood up, using the arm of the bench to support himself until he could put his weight on his cane, a little vulnerability he hated having to show before the other man.

"Well, thank you for your time. Should you ever need assistance, the Enforcer Station is at your service." Oft-repeated line spoken, Sam would turn and walk off at a surprisingly fast clip unless stopped.

Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him
6'
Unemployed
Inactive
CIAN
As things are now, he'll most likely stay away for a very long time unless something very special draws him back to this city. And it would really have to be something special, because from what he had seen and experienced so far, he can't see why anyone would want to visit if they also knew the situation. He understands why there is so much talk about the Plates and so little about the actual condition of the Drench coming out to the other states. At least in his experience.

Luckily for him, Sam doesn't seem to be about to prod him further, nor take him in for any serious questioning. Still, Cian regards the other man warily as he moves to stand, not daring to show much attention in how Sam uses the bench for support to stand. He just gives a couple of more nods.

"I'll keep that in mind." Is all he replies with, but doubts the Enforcer Station will ever be of assistance to him in any way, nor that he will need their help. Or at least he hopes he will never find himself in need of their help. He watches Sam leave in silence and forces himself to remain on the bench for a while longer, before he gets up to find a better place to spend the rest of his day at. Hopefully somewhere where he can be left alone for a while.

{END}