This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
Home Discord Wiki Characters Players Joining Guide Search
I can't keep surfing through this existential misery
Private  — Sunjata!
Loves: 0 ·
Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him
6'
Unemployed
Inactive
CIAN
All he can offer is a quiet hum and some nods to what Sunjata is saying. The concept of taking over after one's parents isn't something strange to him. People do it all the time with business and whatnot. However, the way it seems to work with the noble families is something he finds difficult to properly understand. At least when it comes to this specific family, from what little he had gotten explained to him. He is still of the opinion that it probably is something he would never be able to deal with himself and doesn't envy Sunjata one bit.

Sunjata's description of how it is like being in the Drench draws a soft laugh from Cian and he shakes his head with a small smile. "Think I can agree with that feeling. Even if it feels like the shadows are watching you, people still seem to be rather minding their own business. Up there, it was more like... Being constantly observed." He isn't sure how to describe the feeling. Again, no place in the city feels safe, but some areas felt less uncomfortable than others.

As for the question about work, he tips his head this and that way before shrugging. "Sort of. I find some smaller jobs here and there. Enough to get by, at least." He takes another sip from his drink before continuing. "I haven't really dared to actually look for something that could be more permanent, since I still don't know how long I will be here. Wouldn't want to sign up for anything that could risk keeping me here even after the lockdown ends."

The reader of this text has standing permission for responsible powerplay and to use physical/magical force against this character.
Instant killing and permanently maiming not included.

Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him
6'
Enforcer
Inactive
father, father, let me figure it out
i'm gonna swim in the thick of it now,
i can't even tell the difference now
He imagines it’s only different in the fact that the noble families harbored so much more responsibilities, so many more games to play that Sunjata hasn’t quite yet mastered. But he wished his father could see that he’d be more suited to a diplomatic position, to work with others rather than rule them with the iron fist the Arbiter currently did. But that wasn’t going to happen, and he’d had to look out for himself (albeit, rather impulsively) in order to survive it.

Sunjata hums an agreement before it breaks into a soft snort, taking another small sip from his drink. “It’s all the cameras up there, I think.” So far, down here, things were relatively hit or miss when it came to the cameras staged around the more populated parts of the Drench. And even those were things he imagined weren’t owned by the Platers top side but rather the business owners trying to ensure they had protection over their buildings.

He doesn’t take the chance, though, avoiding them wherever possible just in case.

Sunjata listens as Cian answers his question, though, munching on some of the fries while he hangs onto the comments that the other man gives him, nodding his understanding before tilting his head slightly, the mask hanging slightly off of his face with the movement. “Could you maybe just let them know that you’ll work as much as they need you to but once the lockdown lifts you’ll be heading home? I don’t imagine it’s that much different from anyone else that’s gotten stuck here. Surely people would understand.” Or maybe it’s just another one of those dreams he has, that people are more understanding than they actually are.
SUNJATA
Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him
6'
Unemployed
Inactive
CIAN
The idea of the cameras just has him wrinkle his nose a bit in distaste. He knows they are there, understands why too, but still doesn't like them much. At least not those up around general public areas. He's got more understanding for those by the stores. It's not that he is doing much suspicious activities openly, but he still doesn't like basically having someone hanging over his shoulder. Even remotely.

As for the job situation, he nods thoughtfully at the suggestion. "I could do that, though I figure most perhaps want to know for how long they can rely on someone to work, even if that person doesn't know themselves." He gives a light shrug, takes another sip and has another look around them. Just in case. "But doesn't hurt to ask about it, still. At worst, they tell me No and I'm just back to going on as I currently do." He has some options he can check in with if he needs to, at least.

He falls silent again as the drink slowly starts to numb some of his mind. While calming some of the swirling worries, it also makes it a bit difficult for him to come up with something new that isn't the same old circle of topics. Curiosity tugs at him to ask more about Sunjata's plans, but he is also wary about learning more. "So... What now? What are your plans from here?" It comes out anyway, almost as if he just thought out loud and he isn't even sure what he specifically means himself. If just for the rest of the day, or in general.

The reader of this text has standing permission for responsible powerplay and to use physical/magical force against this character.

Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him
6'
Enforcer
Inactive
That’s fair.” Sunjata offers with a soft laugh, covering it up with a sip from his drink again, letting the warmth spread through his bones to try and alleviate the tension. He hasn’t drank out in public like this in the Drench before, and it both feels freeing and terrifying. Luckily, Cian’s company helps, and the emptiness of the alleyway.

As silence overcomes them again and Cian asks him what he plans to do next, Sunjata rolls a shoulder in a slight shrug. “Laying low for a while. Don’t know how long that’ll be. Then…” His voice drops a bit lower again as he regards his friend more seriously. “Trying to get involved in fixing things down here.” Which will be immensely hard, given that he knows they don’t trust him. Knows that they likely won’t, given who he is.

So he has to pretend he’s someone else entirely. And hopefully that would be enough provided there’s no magazines or newspapers laying around.
SUNJATA
Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him
6'
Unemployed
Inactive
CIAN
His walk slows a bit and he turns more towards Sunjata to focus as his voice drops lower. A small frown pinches his brow for a couple of seconds at the plan of being involved in fixing things. Wanting a change and actually getting involved are very different things, something Cian is still not sure about where he is standing on himself. He would like to see change for the Drench, just for the sake of wanting people to at least have a decent life. At the same time, he doesn't want to be involved in anything. Should not be involved. Not his home. Not his fight.

"If there is anything I can do to help, let me know." Despite everything, he speaks the words before he can pause to think things through a handful of times and as soon as the words leave him, it is too late to just take it back. Wanting, not wanting, should and shouldn't. It all clashing in his mind as usual.

"Not that I know what I can really do. It's not like I have any great contacts down here that can pull strings or anything." It's a weak attempt at taking back his words without directly taking them back. He wants to be helpful, if at least to Sunjata as a friend, but all this is so much more than just some personal thing. Perhaps he won't be considered much if he has nothing useful to offer and he can stay out of things without feeling too guilty over it. Though something tells him it will be impossible to stay completely out of anything while one is stuck in the middle of it like they all are.

Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him
6'
Enforcer
Inactive
Luckily for Cian, Sunjata has no intention on taking the Drencher up on the offer – if only because his internal thoughts are right. It isn’t Cian’s fight. It’s his, born and raised here, on the other side of the fence watching the terrible things happen down below with no ability back then to change things. And now he can, and for the past several months, if not years leading up to it and learning what he can and can’t get away with? He’s deeply involved emotionally now.

Regardless, even with the offer and the follow up, Sunjata flashes Cian an easier smile, a softer one as he shakes his head. “An ear and someone to talk to occasionally are perfectly fine for me.” Besides, when it came to knowing anyone down here they were essentially in the same position. New Arrivals. And while yes, a lot could be done by newcomers, it certainly helped to have the history and background others might have who know more about the place than either of them do.

I don’t want you involved in anything that could go sideways.” It’s fine for him to make the choice over himself because it’s him doing it to himself. The rest? Well, they would have to be absolutely sure if they wanted to join him on it. And there’s no blame within him for those that don’t.
SUNJATA
Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him
6'
Unemployed
Inactive
CIAN
He manages to keep the signs of relief away from his face when not much is asked of him after all. Afraid it might come off wrong if he seems happy over not being of much help. Still, what is asked of him isn't too bad and he gives Sunjata a nod with a soft smile. "Got two ears and I don't think I will be going anywhere anytime soon, so I will be here whenever you need to talk." A quiet laugh leaves him and he swallows down some more of the drink.

Another nod of agreement is offered to the next comment and he rolls his shoulders with a sigh. "Honestly don't want to be more involved than what I might already be from just being here and I don't know... Risk ending up in the crossfire of something. However, if I do overhear anything that might be useful, I am willing to share." Not that he would probably know what was just speculations and what was actual information, but he can still pass it on. Perhaps Sunjata would know, or is knowing someone who does. There is a lot of gossip about pretty much anything going on wherever he turns.

Speaking of information. Cian slows down his walk even more until he more or less comes to a stop and he rubs his brow while trying to think through the slight haze of his mind. Something drifting to the surface and he tries to remember if he has already said something about it already or not. "This is probably quite delayed but... I did ask if you knew they are looking for you, which you do, but did I say that I was told you were spotted as well? With some "dangerous Drenchers like drug dealers and traitors", or so they claimed. Not sure though if it's true of if it was just a way to make me worried enough to start talking." Not that he had had anything to say at that time, actually knowing nothing about where Sunjata was at that point.

Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him
6'
Enforcer
Inactive
Relief swells in his shoulders at Cian’s agreement, relaxing just enough to flash that same easy smile toward the other man, loosened up by the alcohol that burns in his veins now. Things were stronger down here, less flavorful and smooth, but when it came to taking the mind off of things perhaps it was for the best to use Drench liquor.

Obviously you don’t have to put yourself in any kind of danger. Just… if you hear anything in passing that might be helpful.” He shrugs a shoulder, starts to chew on a few more fries, swallowing them down as they make their way through the alleyway.

Once Cian slows down though, he follows suit, taking another sip of the alcohol as Cian explains — which is a terrible idea with how he almost chokes on it. “What?” He hisses hoarsely, face reddening with how he’s trying to recover and refrain from coughing. He takes a few breaths before he manages to keep it under wraps. “Did they say where?
SUNJATA
Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him
6'
Unemployed
Inactive
CIAN
He is glad it is not expected of him to put himself out there, even if there is a tiny little voice somewhere in his head telling him he should do it because "it is the right thing to do", he prefers to keep himself self if he can help it. Maybe some would see it as selfish, but part of him does not care. Feeling as if he has some right to be selfish here, with how he was forced into this situation by not being allowed to just go home already.

Though whatever relief he might have felt disappear with Sunjata's reaction and he gives his friend a concerned look, reaching out to carefully pat him on the back as he recovers from almost choking on his drink. "Sorry, I probably should have said it earlier... It escaped my mind with everything else being talked about." He winces and gives Sunjata an apologetic look, then shakes his head slowly.

"Sadly no. It was Samuel who talked to me. Asking about you and all that. I did question why they had not taken you in already then, since I wasn't sure if he was just trying to make me worried or if he was actually telling the truth, but he just said that by the time it's been reported back you have probably moved on already." He lets out a sigh for the thousand time today and takes another drink just to burn off some of the nervous edge to his mind, then continues in a quiet voice while throwing some glances around at the shadows.

"I did tell him I would report if I learned anything. Obviously a lie, don't worry. I just had to keep him from being so bloody suspicious about me. I did tell him the truth when I told him I didn't know where you were at the time, but I don't think he believed me."

Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him
6'
Enforcer
Inactive
The patting Cian offers doesn’t help too much, but the touch is appreciated regardless – and Sunjata realizes, once again, just how touch starved he’s always been. But he tries his best to recover quickly, enough to listen to every little detail Cian can offer, nose wrinkling at the mention of it being Samuel - because of course it was – before he exhales a quietly frustrated sigh. “Saints. That’s not good.” If he hung out in one spot too long, then it would be likely he could be captured.

Maybe Nate was right to be slightly upset with his excursions – but fuck, if staying in that room wasn’t stuffy and lonely as could be. As for telling Cian to report back and his agreement despite telling him to his face he won’t, Sunjata can’t help the numb nod offered to the other man. “Thanks. I appreciate it.” Hopefully he’d still stay a secret. And remind himself to perhaps never leave the fucking room again.
SUNJATA