This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
Home Discord Wiki Characters Players Joining Guide Search
sleeping on the blacktop
Private  — Adam! <3
Loves: 0 ·
Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him
6'
Enforcer
Inactive
i was raised as a scorpion, being pulled by the moon in high tide
that's why i'm broken, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
It’s an info dump he doesn’t intend to drop on Adam, but he supposes when it comes to wanting to get the full picture, it’s the best he has. Still, the tension that has tightened his shoulders alleviate somewhat – not a whole lot but enough to make it seem like he’s not going to be defensive this time – when he rumbles a soft “yeah” in response, thankful that there isn’t any anger there, but still understanding the issue nonetheless.

So he works his jaw, listening for the next tidbit the DJ has to offer, lifting his gaze from his book to watch as more paint flakes off under the other man’s hands. Of course, the wince that appears with the question is a dead giveaway (he isn’t trying to hide anything from Adam, not when he knows that the only reason he’s remotely close to being safe down here was because of him and Nate), and he puffs out a sigh. “Far enough, it sounds like.” And regret pools uncomfortably in his stomach as he fiddles with the binding of his journal, like a nervous tic when he tries to figure out the best way to respond.

Heard that they know I’m down here. That they don’t know where, but that they haven’t taken any action because I’ve moved on.” So there’s one good thing about it – Sunjata’s been smart enough to not be seen in the same place twice or more, no routine made that could be compromised. But he does manage an apologetic frown, one that tugs awkwardly on his face. "I'm sorry you got stuck with this." Sorry you got stuck dealing with me.
SUNJATA
Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him/His
0'
Radio DJ/Information Broker
Inactive
Adam
You don't need sympathy
They got a pill for everything
Adam nodded, but the motion was slow - it would be clear in his moving eyes and suddenly moving mouth that he was thinking. Nate had said he'd written a letter, meant to be from or to Sunjata's mother, or something, saying he was in Garenez, but...with the best will in the world, the Doctor was not the information broker here. He was. He knew how the people in the Plates operated, what you could make them believe - and how to manipulate the belief the way he wanted.

"Nah, don't say sorry..." He gave a dismissive wave of his hand, still trying to work things out in his mind. His right hand gave up on flaking the paint and came up to rub over his mouth.

Perhaps there was a way he could work this out. "...If you give me some time, I might be able to get them outta the city alltogether. Thing is, you'd have to really, really stay hidden then. No changing your mind and going back or getting caught." If he got involved in this, his head would be on the line if Sunjata was found. There were things even Adam couldn't wiggle his way out of. "How d'ya feel about getting a tattoo?"

(Ideally on his face, but Adam didn't lead with that.)
Just take that dark cloud
Ring it out to wash it down
Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him
6'
Enforcer
Inactive
For as casual of a gesture as it was for Adam to wave away his apology, it means a surprising amount for the young Bratena — his gaze finding Adam again with brows pinched in a hint of surprise, one he doesn’t voice. So he simply nods instead, taking the relief for what it is, and he works his jaw as he continues to fiddle with the binding of the journal while the other man speaks.

Despite the seriousness of their conversation he does end up snorting a soft laugh. “There’s no changing my mind on going back there.” Nothing in the world would have him give into the Platers, into the punishment that awaits him up above. He’s certainly staying put. As for the rest of it, though, he nods. “Yeah, I understand.” He could manage it, even if it detracted from his previous statement.

As for a tattoo? His head tilts. “Were you thinking of something specific?” He’s always wanted tattoos — not allowed to have them based off of the fact the only changes to one’s body Bratena’s accepted were scars.
SUNJATA
Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him/His
0'
Inactive
Adam
You don't need sympathy
While Sunjata probably did mean what he said, Adam knew how corrupt and cruel the Plates higher ups could be; would Sunjata still refuse to return if his friends were threatened? If they wanted to storm Nate's clinic and throw the Doctor off the edge as an example? There were ways beyond incentives of money or power that the Arbiter could try and lure his son back home.

Hopefully, he was just worrying about nothing.

"So uh..." Adam tapped his cheek. "There's a gang that used to be around. They ain' anymore, but I don't think the Plates know that...anyway, they used t' tattoo a circle with a cross through it on one cheek." Once, it had been a common sight, but over the years the symbol had become less popular - but it had kept the same effect on Enforcers, which was that they ran very far in the other direction when they saw it. "It'd really make 'em not even want to consider you."

He held up his hands. "But then again, that's a lot to ask. So maybe just something recognisable on your arm, like a naked lady or whatever people usually get."
Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him
6'
Enforcer
Inactive
It’s a good thing Adam doesn’t suggest those potential options – because if Sunjata were to stand here right now and have that happen, his confidence might not be so easily said. What is easy for him to agree to is the fact that he doesn’t want to be found in the first place. Avoid them getting even close to where he is and the rest is solved. So yes, hopefully he worries about nothing.

For now, though, the idea of a tattoo is very intriguing, and Sunjata perks up as he listens only to hear the moment Adam mentions a cheek and he frowns, nose wrinkling ever so slightly with the idea. It was a bold ask, and yet he does consider it with the idea that it might prevent them from considering him. So he remains silent when Adam holds up his hands and speaks more, something else that could be easily seen on his arm, and he hums for a moment as he still continues to fiddle with the edges of the pages. “Uh,” he starts off wholly unhelpfully, never having thought about getting a tattoo in the first place.

Would something with feathers do? Like… Wings?” He asks, wondering if that was enough if it came down his bicep or if he’d need something on his forearm to prove it. Which, he could work with, it would just take him a bit more thought.
SUNJATA
Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him/His
0'
Inactive
Adam
You don't need sympathy
Unsurprisingly, it seemed like Sunjata wasn't fond of the idea of getting an old gang symbol tattooed on his face. It had been a long shot anyway.

"Wings, huh? I mean. It's kinda boring..." Adam shrugged. "But I guess it'd do. It's something you don't have now, which is the main point. Make you as different from the Sunjata that left as possible, you know." Because as much as he hated to admit it, if he saw Sunjata in the street, he'd still know who he was. There was only so much haircuts and new clothes would do (and he doubted Sunjata would be interested in visiting a Drench plastic surgeon).

Stepping away from the wall, Adam sighed, stretching his arms up and out, then came closer to Sunjata, glancing him over for a moment before flopping onto his lap with all the grace of a three legged dog. "You're causing us a bunch a trouble. It's a good fucking job you're cute."

He booped Sunjata's nose.
Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him
6'
Enforcer
Inactive
Hey,” Sunjata starts to chide immediately, letting his lips twist in a small smile that seems to suggest he isn’t too hurt by the suggestion. Wings would be good for him, he thinks. Like a true illustration of being free from under his father. And maybe, even, for the pettiness of it all, he might even get them done in the navy blue Bratena color. “Yeah, just got my normal scars right now.” He sees as Adam starts to move and he thinks they might be going somewhere right now, unsure how this would work, so he sets the book off to the side from where he sits, marking his spot and by the time he looks up Adam’s right there.

And flops ungracefully into his lap. His arms instinctively go around him, however, using the muscles still trained from his time as an enforcer to keep the taller man in his lap, steel gaze immediately seeking out Adam’s only to bark out a laugh of surprise when his nose is booped. “Yeah, you both have said that.” He rumbles, giving all the air of a dramatic sigh, a tilt of his head, but his body relaxes slightly as he craves the warmth that Adam’s body has to offer as his tone takes on a little more serious of a note. “Thank you.” For helping him out in this, even if he was just dropped on his plate.

And boldly, he can’t help but to lean in to press his cheek against Adam’s shoulder.
SUNJATA
Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him/His
0'
Inactive
Adam
You don't need sympathy
"Look, I'm just saying, you'll be like 'hey mr tattoo artist, I want wings' and he'll be like-" Adam rolled his eyes, holding an imaginary tattoo gun in his hand. Ultimately, though, maybe something less distinctive was a good idea - that way, he'd be just another Drencher, another normal guy around here with a typical tattoo. He doubted it'd be enough to throw off the Enforcers still, but it would be a start.

Feeling Sunjata's arms come around him did delight the bit of Adam that liked to feel like a pampered princess, but he tried not to swoon too hard, loosely placing his own arms over Sunjata's shoulders and slowly swinging his feet above the ground. "Yeah yeah, y'welcome." For a moment, he was content to sit there with the Plater, enjoy their closeness and the quiet atmosphere around them only possible in the early hours of the Drench.

Eventually, a question came to mind; he pulled away a little to ask: "So once the initial heat is up, you're gonna need a job or something down here. Me n' Nate can barely feed ourselves, y'know. And tattoos ain't cheap...well, assuming you don't want to lose your arm with a gross fuckin' infection. So what d'ya think you could do?"
Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him
6'
Enforcer
Inactive
The explanation has Sunjata unable to keep the small laugh from leaving him, shaking his head. “Would he roll his eyes harder if I said I spent a long time thinking about it, it means a lot to me?” He flashes a playful smile toward the Drencher, especially as he settles more comfortably in his lap and Sunjata’s arms remain braced around him, dipping his head to press his cheek into Adam’s shoulder, smelling the hint of cigarette smoke clinging to his clothes.

But then Adam pulls away and Sunjata’s head lifts up, steel gaze focusing on the other man’s face when he speaks, nodding his understanding. “Yeah. Been paying Nate the lasti I took before I came down.” He still has a bunch left, and luckily had managed to make it a quick transaction before disappearing to not get caught with it (but it also would help prove Adam’s information thread correct). “Haven’t thought much about it, but I can do grunt work. Like… Warehousing or repairs or… I don’t really know what kind of jobs are down here that wouldn’t be pinpointing.” Something to not use his born skills on to point fingers would be preferred, of course. Which is why he guesses that the manual labor type would be easier for him to accomplish being a nobody.
SUNJATA
Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him/His
0'
Inactive
Adam
You don't need sympathy
Adam groaned amusedly, rolling his eyes and leaning back. "I think he'd just kick you out." Truthfully, if well done (which could be a problem in the Drench), a wing tattoo could look quite nice on Sunjata. He let his fingers trace over the back of the other man's shoulders, coming around to his arms. "How big would you get it? Have you ever had a tattoo? They hurt, you know."

Not that Sunjata was a wimp, given he'd survived the fucked up drowning thing among whatever other sadistic shit they did in the Plates.

The suggestions Sunjata gave were reasonable, if boring. He nodded, looking at the wall as he considered if Sunjata could work with him. Maybe a partner would be the kick up the ass he needed to get the show properly back on air... "There are jobs y'could do for more pay that are all about staying hidden, y'know. The kind of stuff I do."