This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
Home Discord Wiki Characters Players Joining Guide Search
Muddy waters
Private  — for Ira
Loves: 0 ·
Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him
5'11"
Inventor
Inactive
inventions are out of necessity
it became a necessity to survive bears
ain't pretty, but neither were the bears afterward
"There are probably plenty of competitions that don't reach the City" He responded as he listened to the wind, splashing, and nature itself. Sipping his tea and enjoying the company. Wondering what small games or sports people in the Drench actually played in the confines of the dark. He expected bar games like darts or pool halls to exist, but what did the kids do, did they have ball games and nets? His mind wandered a little as he looked back over to her while she spoke of living on her own. "So you have a roommate now? That's nice, not being alone is something addictive" He said as if he had some experience with it. As all people sought comfort in groups, no matter how small and when you break from solitude, it is hard to go back entirely.

"Naw, if'in I had somehow trained a pidgeon from home and brought it here. I'd be able to send a message, but letters and the like. Everything is locked down tight" He said with a shrug, knowing that he'd not be able to speak with his friend for a while and he'd probably be a proud father by that time. Josef hoped that he had something to show for it by then, invention, master of his craft, and the like. Smiling back at Ira with a half chuckle as she spoke of making friends, an assurance he hadn't really expected from her. "Perhaps, if there are more folk like you, then Friends I will call'em with time" Josef made the statement knowing they were still acquaintances, but, with time as it were, perhaps more.

Hell, Ira knew enough about him that he could be well thrown into a prison somewhere. She'd not sold him out, though her relations with the Enforcers were strained mildly put. Josef trusted her though, enough to know that she would do the right thing. It was how they met and even if she was prickly when it came to first contact, she wouldn't be a bad person to have on one side. Sharing a mug of tea in the muddied fields for example and just talking. It was how you figured out the world and the people who inhabited it.
JOSEF
Height
Occupation
Class
She/Her
5'7"
Server/Barback
Inactive
you can throw me to the wolves
Ira
There are probably a lot of things that has not made it to the other states as well. At least she can hope that something like the swim trial is not a thing the nobles do in the other states of Kotoll, but as usual, she wouldn't be too surprised if they had their own insane ideas on how to torment their children.

"Yeah, two actually. Sure makes rent a lot easier, for starter." She doesn't bother correcting his assumption that she lived alone before and that she's just changed company, nor does she elaborate more on her current living situation. "Though being alone isn't too bad. Makes you learn how to get things done on your own without help. Sorta raised myself for half my life, so I know I'll manage." Though she hopes now that she doesn't have to become alone again and the idea of it has enough time to jab her with anxiety unusual for her before she can push the thoughts away the next second.

She takes a few more sips of the hot drink and gives him a small shrug. "I mean, phones still work. At least inside the city... Actually don't know if calls in and out are blocked or something. Maybe they are, if they can even do that." All she knows is that her own phone has worked as normal during the lockdown, but she's never had any reason to try and reach anyone outside of the city.

His comment about people like her has her chuckling softly and she narrows her eyes in another smile. "Oh, I'm sure there are. Lots of people around here, so doubt I'm the only one." As for selling him out, she really has nothing to gain from it and reporting people to the Enforcers just for the sake of it would only make you enemies down here. As long Josef doesn't cause her trouble, she's got no reason to use what she knows against him.
tomorrow I will come back leader of the whole pack

The reader of this text has standing permission for responsible powerplay and to use physical/magical force against this character.
Instant killing and permanently maiming not included.
Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him
5'11"
Inventor
Inactive
Josef listens intently though doesn't show undue enthusiasm, he was happy when others were doing well and if Ira had two people she trusted being unconscious nearby, then she was doing well with her life so far. He was sure that there were others who wouldn't be able to close their eyes next to people with the fear or uncertainty in which they find living beings. "I reckon that, that is the case" Nodding as she began to backtrack a little as she extolled the joys of being self-sufficient. "Yeah, I know what you mean. Asking someone something is like throwing a ball into the sky and hoping it gets caught. While doing it yourself means it'll be done, no matter how messily"

When Ira mentioned phones, he chuckled a little harder before he sipped his tea. "Yes, phones exist. But, you underestimate how far into the wilds I come from. I'd be able to reach the one phone that exists, though it doesn't guarantee he'd be around to answer" Josef thought about the setup, the fact that every so often the lines would get cut or downed by trees falling. Maintenance of more than one hub was too much for outlying towns that weren't close to civilization. "There are indeed a lot of people, but too many are jaded or seek out a fortune in others" shaking his head as he thought about the types of people he had encountered so far.

"Altogether, at least today is quiet... haven't been bitten or hunted by anything, but then again, in the Drench, I'm not sure what would. Just eeling and now taking a break with some tea with some fine company. Relax, the world could well be worse but right now... it's quiet" Josef started with a point, then he began to ramble and then he gave up, just going for something else entirely as he closed his eyes momentarily. The light of the jar of fireflies flickered as he lifted the camping mug to his lips for another sip.
JOSEF
Height
Occupation
Class
She/Her
5'7"
Server/Barback
Inactive
Ira
She had half expected him to prod and ask more questions, but when he simply just agrees with her statement of managing being alone, she feels a bit of relief over not running the risk of starting to ramble away too much about her life, or having to dismiss questions.

His laugh when she mentions phones, however, draws a more confused expression over her face for a moment. Perhaps she indeed underestimated how it's like where he comes from. After all, she only knows how it's like in the city and even if she is out in the Tangles a lot, it can still hardly be called a wilderness with it still being so close to the city and not when compared to where he comes from.

"Didn't really think of that." She mumbles and takes another sip from her mug. Often she doesn't take things for granted, but perhaps she has when it comes to the ability to always carry a phone with her in her pocket and being able to reach people whenever she needed to.

Resting her elbows on her knees, she huddles up a bit where she sits and warms her hands on the mug. Listening to him talking about the day and she nods slowly to it. "You sorta learn to appreciate these days a lot." She responds softly, as if not wanting to break the quiet he just spoke of after he has closed his eyes. The flickering light from the fireflies catches her attention instead and she watches them in silent for a short moment before speaking up again. "What's the deal with those anyway? Why do you keep them around in a jar like that?"

The reader of this text has standing permission for responsible powerplay and to use physical/magical force against this character.
Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him
5'11"
Inventor
Inactive
Josef wasn't going to pry, like dealing with wild animals, you never pushed too much when trying to make friends. You let them come to you and in this case, Ira would share whatever she wanted given time, it was likely not the last time they would share a mug of tea with each other. He could almost feel the relief that washed over her, though that was probably just in his mind as he nodded in response to Ira's acknowledgment that not all was what it seemed in relation to phones. That said, he should probably get one of these mobile phone things, it would make keeping contact with some people easier, especially if he wanted to build up influence in the Drench.

"Yeah, I feel that's the case. The downtime between excitement or rush to get enough Lasti' to be fed" He responded as he sipped on the tea, glancing over to her, he freed a hand and touched the glass jar that was surrounded by an odd Faraday cage. The fireflies within just settled warm-light. "They are a part of my invention. I let them go and collect their young every few weeks" He couldn't quite explain that some of the fireflies never died, nor did they disappear, they just kept glowing and he believed that they were a special kind like Bizu bugs. which is why he wanted to go and find them, examine and perhaps check if Bizu bugs were easier to locate than the Fireflies.

"My welder works off collecting directed or ambient luminescence as an energy source, like... solar energy, but more directed. The battery is volatile, which is why I don't share the tech" clenching and unclenching his metal gauntlet as if he remembered the pain, before shaking his head. "Sooner or later though, I'll finish my mad gamble and free power would be within our grasp" Josef was enthusiastic, though he didn't ramble about the potential sources of light or how he was also interested in thermal conduction in the same manner, turning people into their own power sources. It was madness, but he wasn't going to stop trying to do fanciful things with his stumblings with technology. "But yeah, that's my dream... why I came to the City"
JOSEF
Height
Occupation
Class
She/Her
5'7"
Server/Barback
Inactive
Ira
Her eyes remain on the fireflies and the more he talks, the more her brows pull together into a confused frown, but she remains silent and lets him finish. Trying to listen while also trying to figure it all out in her head to not having to ask any stupid questions. How solar energy works is completely lost to her. Something like that being completely useless in the Drench and she's not sure she's even heard of anything using the sun to generate power.

Though to be honest, she's not spent much time thinking about how electricity and all that work in the city. It just works (most of the time).

"I'm... Still not sure I understand." She finally says, taking the risk of appearing completely clueless. "You can take light from the bugs and somehow that turns your gauntlet there into a welder? You create a flame out of light?" She looks from the jar and along the wires going to his gauntlet contraption, but nothing of what she sees tells her much about how it all works. "Sounds almost like some kind of magical fire stuff to me." She adds with a shrug and lifts her mug to take another sip. She doesn't know much about magic either, but she knows some people have learned to draw fire into their hands and use it and that's what comes to mind for her.

Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him
5'11"
Inventor
Inactive
Josef didn't really know the big words for what he did, only some of them, though it was more toward turning Light into an energy source, changing it into electrical power and then into heat. There were a lot of bits and bobs in between that helped do that, none of which he would really be able to explain in layman's terms. "Um... Yeah, Light into Electricity, then Electricity into Heat" Josef made a short statement, knowing the capacitors and battery-packs that hid beneath the Gauntlets metal form near his elbow and down his forearm. "With that, I can use a focusing emitter to dole out light and heat, like a magnifying glass with sunlight?"

Glancing at Ira, then at his buckets and bags, he sighed as she began to talk about magic. It was further from the truth and he knew that significantly advanced technology was indistinguishable from Magic, or so his Grandfather said to him. So he moved slightly after putting his mug down, to look for a bottle or scrap. It took him a few moments before he went "Ah-hah!" and pulled out an empty glass bottle, which likely held something else and he was just salvaging it. Cleaning the thick end and pouring some of his tea into it, he shook it and poured it out.

Then he looked up at the sunlight, whatever was left of it, and held the bottle at an odd angle. Trying his best to focus the light into a point on the grass they sat on. It was too damp to go up in flame, all he needed was to show the process. "Okay, so you see this here bottle? It has a convex base, which is thicker in the middle than the edges. With this, we can focus light to burn things. I just invented the method to extract power from light and put it into a battery source. It's just... not that safe right now" Josef tried to explain as the little heat that was created by the bottle began to smoke the area ever so lightly. Though he did give a grimacing word as he spoke about the safety of the equipment he invented.

"Once I have my workshop running... I'll continue my work and sooner or later, everyone will be able to use whatever light is around to store power in portable batteries. People could turn these abandoned fields into collection areas... darkness would be a thing of the past" He said with a grin as he began to slowly burn the drier areas of grass, mindful to get ready to pour tea over it, if it did go alight.
JOSEF
Height
Occupation
Class
She/Her
5'7"
Server/Barback
Inactive
Ira
She nods slowly at what Josef is saying, even if she still doesn't understand how any of it works. How light itself could become electricity, when electricity usually is what creates light. Though she settles for just patiently listening for now, figuring that perhaps it is a lot to explain in details, or that maybe he doesn't know exactly how it works either. Just how to make it work in the way he needs it to.

The comparison to a magnifying glass and sunlight just has her tilt her head more to the side, having not tried using a magnifying glass in the sunlight for anything before, but he says it in such a way that he makes it sound like it's something obvious to be aware of and she's quietly wondering if it's something she might have missed while deciding to skip school days as a kid. Before she can think of any good way to ask about it, however, Josef starts searching through his things and brings out a bottle.

With more of a look of curiosity than confusion, she watches as he holds up the bottle and starts explaining and she tries to not feel too much like she's back in school trying to learn something that should be basic knowledge already. "So your glove thing here takes the light from the fireflies and focuses it into heat like that so you can weld and stuff with it?" She gestures to the smoking patch of grass and the light filtered through the bottom of the bottle. "Saints, I feel slow in understanding all this, but it makes some sense."

She laughs lightly at herself and shakes her head, but doesn't appear embarrassed over it. After all, the workings of solar power and electricity is nothing she deals with on a daily basis. If really at all, other than turning lights on and off with the wall switches. Looking back to Josef, she meets his grin with a smile. "Think  a lot of people would be happy if some of the darkness went away. Seeing as tearing down the Plates didn't seem to work for them, creating more light might be the next best solution."