This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
Home Discord Wiki Characters Players Joining Guide Search
Muddy waters
Private  — for Ira
Loves: 0 ·
Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him
5'11"
Inventor
Inactive
inventions are out of necessity
it became a necessity to survive bears
ain't pretty, but neither were the bears afterward
"The latter sounds possible from what I've heard back home" Rumors, all rumors but with the days he'd spent in the Drench, rumors are slowly becoming truth. At least he could see the sky right now and maybe the stars if he's still about when the sun sets. "The what now? I've heard of the first but what's the drownin' trails?" Josef asked as he continued digging and moving, glancing back toward Ira to make sure she was where he thought she was before he continued. Instinct made him do that, always knowing where all the moving parts are about in case something strange occurs. Like finding something stalking a group of people, always count them and make sure none have vanished even more suddenly.

"True, but it still isn't right. You'd think people who had more would share with their community. Then again, from what I've gathered, the Plates and the Drench are two different groups. Yet, you don't see skirmishes or pillaging like the old stories" Talking about the stories of warring states and skirmishes that factions used to have before unification. Josef imagined what would happen if the Drench really did revolt or started raiding the Plates, funny thought, and from the news, it was what Platers believed was happening. Well, all of it was above his paygrade, that was basically because he was poor and an outsider to the struggles for now.
JOSEF
Height
Occupation
Class
She/Her
5'7"
Server/Barback
Inactive
you can throw me to the wolves
Ira
While thinking of what to say about the Drowning Trails, she listens to what he has to say about sharing and community and she can't help but laugh. It's a rather dry sound with not much joy in it and she shakes her head with a huff. "They build the damn Plates to begin with to not having to share their lives with us anymore. Maybe they share with each other, what do I know. I guess they share whatever trash gets washed down here from up there with us."

She still doesn't think it's impossible that some people up there might care about the Drench and its inhabitants, but it didn't seem to matter much as long as those in charge didn't change their mind and opinions about things. "From what I've heard, the ones on the top might believe that their own luxury will be taken away if they give us as much of a grain of a better life down here." She mutters bitterly and stops to gently prod an eel with her boot. The animal was lurking in the muddy water of the canal and quickly wriggles its way closer to the trap after being poked.

"But, the Drowning Trails... It's south-west of the Drench, outside of the city. Large area, all mix of more wilderness, junkyard from things washed down the rivers, mud and water." She gestures in the general direction of the area.  "The nobles got this unhinged tradition of throwing their kids into the rapids and having them swim for their lives. Whoever survives is good enough for the family or whatever and the rest drown."
tomorrow I will come back leader of the whole pack

The reader of this text has standing permission for responsible powerplay and to use physical/magical force against this character.
Instant killing and permanently maiming not included.
Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him
5'11"
Inventor
Inactive
Was that why they built the plates? He thought it was to do with exploiting space without needing to expand beyond swampland. Then again, she was a Drencher and he wasn't, so he would defer to her answer before coming to any conclusions of his own. "There will always be those who are good and those who are evil, it doesn't really matter where they come from. Though, I guess the ones above have silver spoons while those in the Drench live with using their hands. But that is how the disparity between those with stuff and those with less go" He wasn't that much more well off, though he knew that the woods and Palladol provided much more depending on how far you were away from civilization.

"That may just be the old blood, those who have seen the Drench and understand that it is still the lifeblood of Unk'Kotoll must realize everyone bleeds the same" Naive, he knew that as soon as the words escaped his lips, idealistic even. Looking over at her prodding an eel that got too close to the dry spots that she was taking cover on. He then listened to the story of the Drowning Trails, scowling as he continued to work on the channels and shoring up the others to force more eels down the trap. "That is barbaric... how's being a good swimmer and being lucky the defining trait for some Families? Hell, why not just put them in a pit with some snap hounds and tell them to strangle'em barehanded as children?"

Josef was incensed, as it seemed a bit ridiculous, and wondered if it was just some kind of story. Like how his type of people ate those who got lost in the woods for power or some such. Legends and Myths, due to fear and misunderstanding. Though, he doubted it with this one. Why would Platers even be around here otherwise? and there must have been countless witnesses or drowned kids to have this sort of thing become a widespread rumor. He didn't really know what to think about it, just knowing that one shouldn't waste lives over tradition.
JOSEF
Height
Occupation
Class
She/Her
5'7"
Server/Barback
Inactive
Ira
She chooses to not make any comment on what he has to say about the Plates and the Drench, just nodding along slowly before the conversation shifts back to the topic of the Trails. "Maybe they've got snap hound pits up there as another test, who knows." Really wouldn't surprise her at this point. And when it came to the swimming test, she might have thought it to be some horror story made up by Drenchers to make the Platers seem even worse than they already are if it wasn't for one thing.

"I saw them myself, once. A few years ago." She starts a bit quietly, sticking her hands in her pockets and watches some of the movements in the mud. "Was out there exploring around and came upon this group of nobles. Hid in some bushes a bit away to see what they were doing all the way out there, until they started dropping the kids into the water. I didn't stick around for long. Didn't want to sit and watch them drown."

She exhales slowly in a heavy sigh and shakes her head. "The kids couldn't have been old. Below ten, at least by the looks of it. But I don't know what purpose it really serves... If any at all, really. Living up there in the sun might have fried their brains." The tone of her voice does nothing to hide the great disapproval she has for this tradition of the Plate nobles.

The reader of this text has standing permission for responsible powerplay and to use physical/magical force against this character.
Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him
5'11"
Inventor
Inactive
Josef shook his head, before wiping some sweat off his brow with his cleaner forearm as he listened to her jest about the snap-hound pits. He never stopped shoveling otherwise, it kept his mind on a track that he could control and the conversation was depressing, to say the least. When he heard Ira speak quietly, he glanced over and paused then, becoming an intent listener and giving her all his attention. He put a stern look upon his face, though it turned to a frown as he grits his teeth. She didn't deserve to witness that as much as the children didn't deserve to be there. Josef would have offered her a hug if he weren't a dozen feet in mud as well as covered in the stuff.

Then again, Drenchers didn't really express themselves like that. "It's... proof of something, probably survival of the fittest. It's ridiculous and, yeah, I appreciate you sharing. If'in you need it, I can get water boilin' for a cup of tea or give you a hug or somethin'. Sorry if that sounds strange, but I feel like you need one" Josef stated in a neutral manner, not knowing what the proper etiquette for something like this was in the Drench. So he just shared his thoughts and waited for a response instead of going back to work digging. He hoped he didn't overstep any boundaries with what he had offered.
JOSEF
Height
Occupation
Class
She/Her
5'7"
Server/Barback
Inactive
Ira
She chews some on the inside of her cheek while thinking the event over. While it had not been a gory scene in any way and as she had said, she never stuck around long enough to actually see if anyone drowned, though she always suspected that at least a few of the kids did not make it through the rushing water, it had still been an uncomfortable thing to witness at the time. Even if it was a while ago now, thinking back of it made her skin crawl a bit. She had mentioned it in passing to others a few times, but never really talked about it.

"Appreciate the offer, but it's not like I'm all traumatized about it." She looks over towards him with a hint of a smile, a bit saddened by the thought of Platers basically murdered their own children and they are allowed to do it. "Still wish I could unsee it, you know. Dunno if that makes me seem all sensitive, or whatever... Just don't like the idea of kids being drowned by their own parents. Imagine growing up knowing you'll have to go through that test?" She shakes her head. Noble Platers or not, the kids are still innocent while they are still kids either way.

"Tea does sound nice, though. I'll decline the hug, however. Don't really hug on strangers." Lies. Sort of. She doesn't go hugging strangers anymore, unless it would be some very specific situation that she can't think of at the moment. But otherwise, no touching. Perhaps a friendly pat on the shoulder or something, if needed.

Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him
5'11"
Inventor
Inactive
The trauma didn't work like that, but it still wasn't Josef's job nor his prerogative to point things out like that. So, he just accepted her response and listened, which was all he could do as he slowly worked, but with less enthusiasm while he listened to Ira. The types of trauma that he had personally come across were usually tragedies that people made, animal attacks, people getting lost, or even machinery accidents that cost lives. The difference was that they were avoidable and not malicious in nature. What Ira was talking about was the type of thing that showed the darkness in men's hearts, that groups of people thought children were worth nothing until they passed their trials.

"No, your not being sensitive or anythin', it is fine to want to unsee somethin', from the past. Yeah, I can imagine..." His voice and tone showed sensitivity, understanding, and calm as he wanted Ira to feel safe. He was barely an acquaintance and yet, Josef wasn't the type to shut something like this down. Embracing his roots as a protector in every manner or it may just have been a hero complex. Half chuckling as she talked about the offer of a hug as he stuck the shovel down and trundled his way out of the mud, onto dry-ish land. Josef began to get his burner and kettle out, water from a new canteen being poured as he used his glove to spark a fire. A concentrated light appeared near the palm for a moment.

"Well, if you ever need a hug. Standing offer, as we're not that strange. Though you'd think I'd learn my lesson after I hugged a bear. Mayhaps it was hungry, took a chunk out of my shoulder and everything. Warm and fuzzy though, so didn't mind at the time" Josef began to speak up, with some cheer in his voice as he tried to take Ira's mind off of children drowning by making fanciful claims of his past. The scar on his should be very evident that it had been bitten by something big. A  genuine smile on his face as he sat down on the dry patch, patting the earth next to him to indicate that Ira had a spot if she wanted to sit. It wasn't dry by any means, but he hoped she would join him.
JOSEF
Height
Occupation
Class
She/Her
5'7"
Server/Barback
Inactive
Ira
Perhaps she's more affected by the event than she's aware of, but she would probably argue against it if someone tried to claim that she is. But the whole concept of the trials makes her feel a great deal of discomfort and she really can't wrap her head around people being able to do such a thing. Her father and her had a whole lot of issues between them, but at least she can give him credit for not wanting to drown her to prove her worth.

She quietly appreciates Josef not seeming to judge her for how she feels, however. Even if a lot of Drenchers can be caring, a lot of them are also approaching things with a much harsher attitude. The kind that just tells you to shrug it off and move on. Shaking her head a little mostly for herself, she remains in place for a while before slowly walking over towards where Josef is preparing the burner. Her head tilting in curiosity at the spark from the glove, but he starts talking about bears before she can ask anything.

"I'll remember it if I ever feel the need." She responds with a small smile, then raises a brow. "Though... Hugging bears? Why? Aren't they like... Really big with huge claws?" She seems unsure if she should look confused or amused, and her eyes move to the scar on Josef's shoulder, then over to the spot next to him as he pats the ground in an offer for her to sit. However, she remains where she came to a stop on the opposite side of the burner from him and crouches down there instead. Keeping a decent distance between them.

Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him
5'11"
Inventor
Inactive
Josef didn't judge, nor say anything as Ira closed the distance but kept the burner between them. The water heated up between them in the pot as he began to wipe off his hands with a relatively clean cloth, all to be able to handle the little pouch of tea leaves. Doling out an amount into two tin camping cups that were settled in the same bag which held the kettle previously. "Well, again, if you ever need someone impartial and not of the Drench, I'll be around," He said as he looked up at her with a smile, as she continued on questioning the bear talk. "Yeah, real big, twice the size of a grown man, just as wide. With claws that can sheer metal. Honestly, they are not teddy bears. Do not hug them" Half speaking like it was a radio-advised disclaimer.

"They are adorable as cubs and very warm though, which is why people tend to think they are friendly" leaving out the bloody parts or storied issues with people getting too close to bears for their own good. "With enough psychedelics and stuff, you can knock one out and transport them further into the woods. Wouldn't do to kill them all, as they keep wildlife in check. Somethin' to do with the cycle of life" Josef said with a nod, happy that the conversation was onto something away from drowning children. His claw went up to the bite on his shoulder to scratch at the scars, as he remembered the day he received it, he was very lucky.
JOSEF
Height
Occupation
Class
She/Her
5'7"
Server/Barback
Inactive
Ira
"You're very persistent with that. Almost makes it sound like you're the one starved for physical touch and needs a hug." She teases and narrows her eyes at him with a playful look, before looking down to the tea leaves being prepared.

While listening to him talking about the bears, she slowly comes to sit down properly on the relatively dry ground and drops her otherwise guarded demeanour somewhat. She has never seen a bear in real life before, but his description of them matches what she has seen in some books and it certainly makes sense to not hug them. Though it still doesn't explain why he had hugged one, if that was true.

"Think I'll stick to hugging on my cheetah friend. She's way more friendly than what these bears sound like." She says without offer any more details right away, not taking her eyes off the tea making even as he pauses to scratch on his scars. "But why did you hug a bear then?"