This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
Home Discord Wiki Characters Players Joining Guide Search
Muddy waters
Private  — for Ira
Loves: 0 ·
Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him
5'11"
Inventor
Inactive
inventions are out of necessity
it became a necessity to survive bears
ain't pretty, but neither were the bears afterward
"Oh, maybe, Ira. I mean, it has been a while since I left home" Josef replied with some humor in his voice as he understood it was a light ribbing she was giving him, he wasn't starved for it or needed a hug, but if that was how she was going to interpret it. Then he would go along so that she'd have any excuse she wanted, if she would have liked a Hug but her Drench sensibilities told her otherwise. Josef was the type to worry about people, it came with the territory of protector and he had shown before that he genuinely cared for people. So he continued to prep the tea, before glancing over to her as she became more comfortable. A smile on his lips, though still obscured by that rough beard he hadn't yet shaved.

"Cheetah you say, I'd love to see one of those" He replied lightheartedly before glancing around them, nice and quiet without rain in sight for now. "Hm? honestly, didn't have a choice and barely survived the first time. After that, I just hugged them whenever I could" Josef stated with a grin, not going into the story that his first time was when he was a child and got horrendously hurt. The times after that, the bears were usually unconscious and had to be moved. If he had to tell a story, it would be from one of those times. "...as said, nice an' fuzzy with a warmth you'd not believe. They smell to high heaven tho'" Nodding lightly as if remembering, yet not a few days ago he was still covered in their scat.

"Tell us more about this cheetah you keep hugging instead of folk who'd have arms to return the favor" He said as he began to put away some things, while he waited for the water to boil. His eyes returned to her, curious and awaiting a story. Hoping she didn't pry into the first time he hugged a bear using his scars as a point of interest. The sounds of splashing eels nearby, but he ignored them as it wasn't important right now.
JOSEF
Height
Occupation
Class
She/Her
5'7"
Server/Barback
Inactive
you can throw me to the wolves
Ira
She doesn't say anything more about the hugging for now, just gives him another slightly smirking look at his response, then her attention shifts and remains on the mugs and the heating water. Her long legs folding up so she sits cross-legged and making no indication that she is going to change her mind about his offer and move from her spot.

The reply he gives to why he had hugged a bear still doesn't answer the question. She still can't understand why he would do it, but lucky for him, she doesn't pry. If he doesn't want to give away more, she won't make him. It isn't important information and she currently isn't working, so she lets it go. "I can imagine them being warm, with all that fur." She says quietly with a small nod, her eyes flickering up to his face for a second at his question and she huffs in a soft laugh at his comment about not hugging people.

"Her name's Morrocaw and she belongs to a friend of mine. They're from Undunli and got stuck here when the lockdown started." A small frown appears on her face for a brief moment, as the possibility of them leaving once the lockdown is lifted crosses her mind. "She's not as big as a bear, though, but she's got very soft fur and loves chin scratches. Doesn't seem like she wants to chew on people, either."
tomorrow I will come back leader of the whole pack

The reader of this text has standing permission for responsible powerplay and to use physical/magical force against this character.
Instant killing and permanently maiming not included.
Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him
5'11"
Inventor
Inactive
It wasn't that he wouldn't share, but he didn't want to right now, it would have dragged the conversation down toward depression once again. It was something he was going to try to avoid as much as possible after all that Drowning Trails talk. So he was glad that she let it slide, though shook his head with a slight chuckle as Ira got comfortable rather than availing of his offer. As soon as the water began to heat to the point where it steamed, he left it for a few moments before pouring some into both of the camping mugs. Leaving it to steep as he replaced the kettle and turned off the burner for now. "Oh most definitely," replying to her comment on them being warm.

Then came the information on the Cheetah, perking up as he liked animals quite a bit. Nodding as she described the owner's situation, "Sounds like a fine beast, though given the chance will probably chew on somethin', it all depends on their temperament and if they're hungry" Shrugging as he thought about the animals of the Drench. They weren't that varied and he'd have loved to find a companion that he could share the place with. Josef needed a workshop first and after that, it'd all be a little easier. "Never been to Undunli, maybe I should have traveled a bit before coming to the City. Then again, I'd not have met you or some of the other fine folk of the Drench otherwise"
JOSEF
Height
Occupation
Class
She/Her
5'7"
Server/Barback
Inactive
Ira
Her eyes seem to follow the movements of his hands as he pours the water into the mugs and doesn't properly look up to his face again until the tea is left to steep. "Oh, yeah probably. She'd probably bite if you make her angry, so I guess I've not given her a reason yet." Even if the cheetah is acting very tame and friendly, Ira is aware that they can be dangerous animals still.

She runs her fingers through her hair and tries to think of what she has been told about Undunli. "Never been there either, but I think they've got large open areas under the sky. Like, way larger than this..." She makes a sweeping gesture to the area around them. "A lot of mines too, filled with gemstones and the like."

The smile returns to her lips and she tilts her head a bit to the side as she regards him with amusement. "Well, you're welcome that I stumbled into you then. So you've managed to run into any more fine folk around here, then? Made any friends?" She can think of all sorts of people he might have possible run into at this point, but at least it doesn't seem like he has run into any of the bad kinds yet.

The reader of this text has standing permission for responsible powerplay and to use physical/magical force against this character.
Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him
5'11"
Inventor
Inactive
Josef didn't notice her watching his hands, it never even occurred to him to put anything else into the mugs or to do anything nefarious as it wasn't in his nature to do so. He was straightforward and if there was something wrong, he'd just bring it up and if there was a confrontation, he'd throw a fist. So he went along blissfully unaware as he nodded in response to Ira's next words about not giving an animal a reason to bite. Chuckling as he had given many reasons for animals to bite him, even the friendly ones. "Well, if they are well-trained and behaved, I guess it takes a bit more than a playful scratch before they bite"

Open skies, large areas, and mines. A little different than Palladol which was made up of forests, hills, and mountains. Still, unlike the City, there was a lot more sky. "Sounds interesting, I'll have to visit it one of these days. After everything is settled, maybe a couple of years" He thought openly as he listened to her, glancing around as she had motioned about. Thinking about stumbling into other people, he thought about how to answer as those who he had met wouldn't be considered 'fine' by some standards.

"Some others, but I wouldn't say fine. As for friends, no, none that I would call that yet. I'm told that friends are the type of people who won't ask questions if you need a body buried or some such. Back home, a friend was one who would drink with you through the night and walk through the woods without a single fear" It made sense in Palladol, as walking at night through the woods was a death sentence to most, if he needed to explain it, it'd be like diving into the swamp together and knowing both of you would get out just fine.
JOSEF
Height
Occupation
Class
She/Her
5'7"
Server/Barback
Inactive
Ira
She might not even think that he will be trying anything, but she keeps an eye on the mugs out of habit without having any prior suspicions. Having caught and thrown out enough misbehaving patrons at work, she may have developed a bit of paranoia when it comes to other (non-staff) people handling her drinks.

"Mh, whenever the lockdown lifts so people can go places." She mutters and shakes her head. "I've never been outside of Ok’Kotoll and barely been outside of the Drench. Just been up to POSE a handful of times in my entire life. Would love to see Undunli, though. Wonder if you could get to check inside any of the mines." The idea has been intriguing ever since she first heard of the mines. Searching through dark tunnels after gems sounded exciting.

He talks about what type of people friends are and she raises a brow at it. "I'd say I've got friends, but I don't think any of them would bury a body for me without questions. Think I'd have a few questions if any of them asked me to bury a body for them too." She chuckles quietly with a shake of her head. "As for drinking through the night, that they'd probably do. Or share a smoke and walk through the... City. Sadly got no woods here. Strolling through dark alleys will have to do, or sit on a roof and watch the neon lights." That alternative doesn't sound too bad in her opinion, but it's what she's used to and she's got nothing else to compare it to.

Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him
5'11"
Inventor
Inactive
"You should go traveling for a couple of months, mayhaps I'm a bit biased. But Palladol has mountains and forests as far as the eye can see. Climbing one can let you survey miles of woodland" Josef responded to her want to explore Undunli and its mines, perhaps the outdoors of Palladol wasn't that appealing to others, but as it was his homeland, he'd sing its praises any day. Though, he'd not have really guessed that Ira was interested in the adventure that came with prospecting mineshafts.

"I would, but if I trusted them, I doubt I'd ask until all was said and done. Blessed be that it never occurs, but you never know" Josef said with a chuckle as he listened to Ira talk of where bodies would be buried and why, of friends. He slowly pulled out an odd mesh netting that was the size of the mugs, separating two off as he pushed the metal mesh down into both mugs. Pushing the leaves to the bottom as it left a clear area to drink without needing to chew through the organic mass. Once this was done, he lifted the mugs and offered one to Ira to handle first.

"Hmm, lot more dangerous wandering the woods at night. Wolves and other predators roam, which is why the saying is a bit more like... jumping into a fry pan together? No, not quite. I can't really think of what Drenchers would ever call it, honestly" Having no other alternatives either that came to mind as he thought about it all. "So, have many friends? Good ones, who'd hide bodies for you, I mean" he said with another chuckle. Still holding the mug until she took it off his hands.
JOSEF
Height
Occupation
Class
She/Her
5'7"
Server/Barback
Inactive
Ira
"If I ever get the chance to travel outside of the city, I'd go to Undunli first. But perhaps Palladol can be second on the list. Climbing I know how to do. At least buildings. Can't say how I'd do with trees." She gives him a wink with a small smirk, but then his hands come close to the mugs again and her eyes are on them in an instant before she can even think of it herself.

"The only predators we've got around here are those of the streets. Enforcers, desperate people with knives and the likes." She accepts the offered mug and cups her hands around it, watching the steam slowly rising while thinking his question over. "Not many, no. Two that I can trust with personal stuff and one of them I might trust with near about anything. Another that I... Might not have deep emotional conversations with, but he's still alright. Full of fun ideas and willing to share a good smoke with you if you need it." She adds the last part with a small chuckle and shakes her head.

She lets the warm steam from the mug drift up across her face for a moment. "Don't think I'd ask them to bury a body for me, though. Not that I wouldn't trust them, but you know, wouldn't be nice of me to drag them into such a mess." She peers over to Josef with another playful smirk tugging at her lips.

Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him
5'11"
Inventor
Inactive
At least Ira humored him and his suggestion, though tree climbing was an experience. "You should seek out the lumberjack competitions when you're there. They climb thirty-foot pillars with nothin' but a few boards and an axe" Nodding as if remembering good times as he chuckled, enjoying the time they spent talking about anything positive. "There are probably other things, just never met them before as they are in deep water or the sewers, somethin' like that" he also didn't want to mention that people likely didn't record the deaths in the Drench too well and predators could have swam into it from the swamps without anyone knowing.

"Yeah, but that is what a Friend is, someone who'd help you with a mess. If you're in a bind, they are the ones who can give you a hand out of the muddy water" Josef said as he glanced over the mud, lifting the mug to his lips to have a sip. It was a green tea with a smooth floral taste that he had gotten before entering the city, he'd likely not be able to get any more when his supply ran out. He hadn't seen any tea-leaf fields or anything within the City limits, so it was likely import which would be expensive. "Fairweather friends are not friends at all..." Josef said with a shrug, wondering if they had that phrase in the City. "I only have one, back at home. They'll be a fire marshal or something by the time I hear from them again"
JOSEF
Height
Occupation
Class
She/Her
5'7"
Server/Barback
Inactive
Ira
"Never heard of people competing climbing things. Well, not official competitions, at least. Always kids betting on who can climb up to some balcony the fastest or something." She can imagine having competitions with climbing on buildings where people lived would not be very appreciated by those living there.

Nodding slowly to what he says about friends, she lifts her mug as well and takes a careful sip of the tea before going back to watching the steam thoughtfully. "I guess so. Just quite a new thing for me, actually. Used to being by my own and sorting things out by myself and not having anyone else to rely on." It slips out before she can think it over if she even wants to share, as if she had mostly been thinking it out loud. As if just remembering that she actually got someone to turn to now.

She busies herself with taking another sip of the tea and turns the attention back to Josef. "Got no way of calling your friend or anything? Suspect no letter will go out of the city unless you know who to pay a lot of money to, though." She tilts her head a bit to the side and offers him a small smile. "But hopefully you'll make some friends here too. M'sure some decent people exist around here."