This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
Home Discord Wiki Characters Players Joining Guide Search
the graveyard near the house
Private  — Kaylus!
Loves: 0 ·
Height
Occupation
Class
She/Her
5'5"
Art Curator
Inactive
standing on the corner, i could listen to the radio
when the savior sang from the fire escape on a second floor
you were always saying we would make it to the catacombs
It does.” She agrees swiftly when it comes to the coffee and the atmosphere. But her eyes focus back on him like a hawk’s would the second that he leans forward again over the table while she continues to cradle her own. She gives him enough attention that it seems like she’s decently engaged in it, while also carrying that air of caring little for it – hoping that those that knew her here would be able to tell the difference.

Though as she tries to figure out why he’s there in the first place, the answer he gives is certainly one she anticipates but was hoping to get something else out of it. Still, there’s a huff of a laugh that leaves her surprisingly at his attempts, appraising him once more with that sharpened, fiery glint to her gaze. As her lips part to speak, she’s cut off by the arrival of their plates of food, the waiter setting them out in front of the two of them and she slides her cup off to the side to make room for it and to reach for her utensils. The lunch she’s chosen was a fresh green salad with bits of strawberries and blueberries intermixed with a blended vinaigrette and a flatbread of sorts to go on the side, and her eyes drift up to Kaylus to see what his expectation is.

After all, he doesn’t seem to come off to her like a salad kind of guy – more of a rare red meat fan for any kind of meal. "I suppose we'll have to see, then?" She finally decides to say, before she politely takes a forkful of her salad.
Rexanna
Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him
6'2"
Financial Aid Merchant
Inactive
Pay a Man enough...
and he'll walk barefoot into hell
Kaylus found Rexanna's current attitude, left something to be desired. She seemed to want to play hard to get and anyone who knew the game Aristocrats and those of higher stations played. It wasn't something that he liked as it meant that she was too in control and was less fiery than he had hoped. Nodding at her answer as if to corroborate, he watched her intently to determine any tics and actions outside of those which were too controlled. The laugh surprises him, though he only showed a response by raising one brow slightly while he smiled, it was a nice sound but he'd have wanted others escaping her lips.

"Thank you," were the words he gave the waiter who supplied them with their food, his eyes not pausing nor his heart skipping a beat at the food presented to him. Food, as much as coffee, no matter the shape or form was just sustenance. Kaylus was the type to eat anything given to him, even if it was vile or disgusting, as long as it was nutritious. If he could survive on paste without being judged scandalous, he would have done so. Though he did not have a preference for flesh, it amused him whenever he tore through such a meal knowing that people were made of the same stuff.

Putting down the mug of coffee, he picked up his fork and took a knife, then began to delicately portion the flatbread. Then pile bits of salad and fruit atop of them, eating them like miniature canapé. Kaylus' eyes met Rexanna's' and he spoke up, "Do I have something on my face? Or perhaps, you like what you see?" slowly eating with as much decorum as expected of the Aristocracy. Showing enjoyment or at least no signs of dislike toward the choice of lunch. His words were meant to both provoke a reaction and put on a show for anyone eavesdropping. Given that he was quite handsome was perhaps the trap many fell into, if they did not know his reputation. "Fine food, finer company. I feel like this will become a special place for me"
Kaylus
Height
Occupation
Class
She/Her
5'5"
Art Curator
Inactive
She can be fiery, given the fire magic that lingers under her skin. But she keeps herself in check, trying her best to keep everything in like to get the least amount of conversation talked about. She doesn’t know if it’s working, and likely won’t until they part ways, which certainly can’t come soon enough for the curator.

His eyes meet hers shortly after the food is dropped off, however, and her curiosity is spotted in a way that has her internally chastising herself, immediately dropping her gaze back down to her plate as she goes and starts to get another bite onto her fork. “I was simply curious what you think about it.” Their lunch, that is, though as she belatedly realizes it, is a comment that could absolutely be misconstrued.

He isn’t unattractive, if you go solely off of looks. But she knows the rumors that spin around him and she’s certainly not the type he usually encounters who continue to try and raise their station, especially those in the ranking system that she’s in. The main goal of a Bourgeoisie was often to try and marry into the aristocratic families, while Rexanna simply wanted to keep things as normal for herself as she could without getting even higher up the chain.

So she hums a soft little sound, swallows down her bite, and glances up at him again with ever the picture of politeness. “I’m glad it has broadened your horizons.” It’s a rather run of the mill response, clearly showing her bold disinterest in his attempts to ruin this cafe for her. And before she takes another bite, she takes a slow sip of her coffee, as if it might be able to get the acrid taste of her words out of her mouth.
Rexanna
Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him
6'2"
Financial Aid Merchant
Inactive
Pay a Man enough...
"I find its presentation fabulous, its scent sweet. But, it lacks some spice" Kaylus spoke up in reply as he watched her, having portioned the food, it was easy enough to pick up without needing to check where his fork was. His words could have been about the food, though Rexanna given her wit would know it was about her. His view of her and the odd disappointment that she seemed bland with her responses up to this point in time. Then again, Kaylus disliked those who tried to reach upward to the upper echelon through him.

Every Aristocrat played the game of cat and mouse, the dance of intimacy for the courts, or the war of whispers and fans. Those of lower stations clawed at those like him, single bachelors or bachelorettes of the Aristocracy who were viewed like prizes. Kayla had spent years crafting the type of reputation that most upstanding or venomous little things stayed far from him, as they would not be received by society in the manner they would believe. Even if he married, they would only be ostracised like he was, though perhaps just a lot richer.

Rexanna seemed polite, but he knew she was holding something back. Kaylus wanted to see the mask fall away from her, the control she had, the very fact that her words seemed so generic. Uninterested in his attempts at provoking a response. He saw his moment as she sipped her coffee, speaking up as he continued to eat in between. "We'll make it a date then? While lunch is good, I'd doubt that I would have as much fun without the company", he readied himself, expecting Rexanna to spit-take as he prepared to take a handkerchief out for her. All because he wanted to provoke a real unadulterated response with the many eyes and ears about.
Kaylus
Height
Occupation
Class
She/Her
5'5"
Art Curator
Inactive
The internal thoughts of hers immediately wants to prove that she does have spice, but it’s also something she doesn’t want to admit just to prove she falls into whatever trap this is. So she huffs a softer laugh, poking and prodding at her salad when she retorts with a “well, it is a salad.” She lifts her sapphire gaze to meet his, a dark brow rising as if that was answer enough.

But she takes a sip from her coffee and his comment is loud enough that it does send the wrong image, and it unfortunately does break through her casual facade to give him the reaction he does want. It’s not exactly a spit-take, but it does end with her coughing on her sip for a second, swallowing down as she tries to suck in a breath. “I’m sorry if you’ve gotten the wrong idea, but,” she lifts her chin defiantly, pinning him with that gaze again and speaking loud enough the people around could hear her too. “This is not a date.
Rexanna
Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him
6'2"
Financial Aid Merchant
Inactive
Pay a Man enough...
Kaylus just acknowledged her words about the salad, yet the subtle things that were displayed like the huff, and the solid gaze, all showed that she understood but didn't want to play. That was a shame because he didn't think this little charade was something that she had any right to leave. Unless she broke decorum and literally left, which, given Rexanna's attitude until now, it would have been beyond her capabilities to handle such social fallout. He understood why logically, yet, always felt estranged whenever he thought about how people caged themselves with these social niceties.

Then it happened, she faltered because of his words. Of course, Rexanna didn't want to imply anything or have any informal ties to Kaylus, he was the epitome of what happened when you had a bad boy actually be bad. Kaylus offered her a monogrammed handkerchief that was a deep midnight blue as was proper for when someone began coughing or choking on liquid. He didn't make moves to wipe her lips for her, just offering it as any gentleman would. "Whatever do you mean, Miss Rexanna? Obviously, this is not a date, as I stated, I stumbled upon this place by chance" he waited for half a beat of his cold heart as he smiled widely, lovingly almost. As he had pried open a crack in her defense. "The date would be the next time we meet, I am glad that you agree that it would need to be somewhere a bit more extravagant"

Speaking smoothly, at such sly speed that he didn't allow her a word edge-wise until he had finished speaking. That was also loud enough for everyone to hear, it also placed her in a predicament of openly slighting him or accepting his offer. Both avenues were ones that he wanted, as his dark brown eyes stared back into her sapphire orbs. From the point of view of the spectators, it was clear that he had done nothing wrong, maybe making an innuendo or two in regard to her beauty. Yet, in no way would that have sparked such outrage unless Rexanna claimed that it was due to unproven rumors about his character.
Kaylus
Height
Occupation
Class
She/Her
5'5"
Art Curator
Inactive
He offers his handkerchief and it’s something she immediately chooses not to take. Instead, her arm lifts, the orange striped sweater sleeve meeting her lips for the secondary coughs that occur once she’s recovered enough. Of course, embarrassment shades her cheeks, especially as he twists her words on her, and frustration blooms even further.

Her lips part to speak right before he cuts her off and she frowns heavily, having to make a choice quickly over which avenue she’ll have to go down. “You’re mistaken, I’m not interested in going on a date with you.” She says with a surprising amount of fire in her words, determination underlining each and every one of them, loud enough that those around would hear her clear dismissal.

And already, she knows the gossip will spread, but at least she knows she’s been true to herself in ensuring that she wasn’t going to be boxed in, helpless by whomever she eventually ends up with. Which is another point that she brings up. “Besides, it certainly wouldn’t be an advantageous move for you, even if we did.” She had no house she was related to, nothing to gain by courting her.
Rexanna
Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him
6'2"
Financial Aid Merchant
Inactive
Pay a Man enough...
Kaylus doesn't feel slighted in the least, he knew all these things were going to fall as they were. That Rexanna would not take his handkerchief, due to propriety or visibility as a handkerchief could have been seen as something intimate. Though, it truly made him feel excited and gave his eyes a genuine moment of being alive when he got her to blush with his actions or words. The sadistic streak in him fed on even the mildest type of discomfort he managed to generate from the woman. "Perhaps I spoke out of haste" he spoke softly as he continued to hold up the handkerchief to her, letting a wisp of emotion enter his voice as if he were genuinely hurt. Internally though, he was laughing, this was amusement beyond what he thought the day would have gathered for him.

"That means nothing to me, if I wanted such, I'd not have asked. Promises of wealth, connection, or clout mean little to me. Otherwise, I would have been married a long ago" Kaylus spoke, his voice under his control to the point where those close enough may have heard it tremble. As he summoned enough joy within his soul, the thoughts of when he finally dashed his father's life in order fetter his eyes with almost a single tear. This charade would continue and he wondered what her reputation would look like by the end of this debacle. It was expected that he would be scandalous, what about Rexanna?

"Is that the only reason for your refusal?" Sucking in a slow breath, widening his eyes as he stopped the tear from actually falling, letting it dry slowly as he stopped blinking for now. It would be too much for him to cry, he'd only met her this afternoon, and though his reputation may take a hit. It'd be insufferable if his brother heard of this and actually tried to send a marriage request as head of his family. So, it was down to Rexanna to play this game of chicken he set up. To be ice cold in front of spectators at her favorite luncheon spot or offend him some more, making it all seem that much more petty.
Kaylus
Height
Occupation
Class
She/Her
5'5"
Art Curator
Inactive
Yes, you did, she wants to tell him but refrains, biting down on the inside of her cheek to keep from snapping at him. Her stubborn frustration remains as she still blatantly ignores the cloth he offers out, the emotion that he lets into his voice and face that she can’t quite tell if it’s real or not. She wants to bank on the fact it isn’t real, though.

And unfortunately, her reasoning isn’t good enough, evident by how she withdraws back into her seat, her appetite completely disappearing as she folds her arms across her chest, certainly ruining any decent relationships she might have with the Aristocrats now, but certainly someone out there would understand. “Then why haven’t you?” She asks instead — wondering why he’s never married, why he seems insistent on putting the decision on her, with how much she absolutely looks like she doesn’t want it.

I have many reasons to refuse.” She starts to say, withdrawn still. “I do not have to share them with you.” She announces as well. Being in the social class she was with no aims or need to move up, realistically she could marry any decent man her family decided on, and he wasn’t about to be one of them. At the very least, her family was kind and un-Plates-like enough to listen to her own whims when offering out options of potential marriage opportunities.
Rexanna
Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him
6'2"
Financial Aid Merchant
Inactive
Pay a Man enough...
Of course, his feelings right now weren't true, Kaylus never showed his true feelings to anyone, it was never necessary. Though that may have been another lie, as he had shown some people, but they were either locked away or dead. So he watched and waited, beckoning a response as he slowly let the emotions dampen and fade naturally. As if he were digesting emotions for the first time. In reality, it was just that he didn't want to break character and wasn't going to shout 'end scene' or something bombastic like that. Then he listened to her question, it was an innocent one, yet, no one outside of his Brother and Sister had ever really asked. So he gave the truth, "Because I've never found anyone that matched me..." Kaylus stated in a bare whisper so that only she could hear as he retracted his arm, his features slowly returning to something less emotional toward a light smile.

It was all a game to him, the chase, and the things he did were all in pursuit of what he desired. Most considered this unhinged, but no one was as free as he was within his circles as he bent rules, walked on both sides of society, and did things that would turn people's stomachs. All in the pursuit of doing whatever he wished within the broken law of the Aristocracy and world. Not bound by morals or ethics, he was a beast and as long as he played some of the games, he'd not be caught out. "Perhaps, Miss Rexanna, but I insist... would it really cause you such great pains to provide the truth? When you have judged me as flippantly as I have you. You are not just a beauty, but I am not the sum of the rumors railed against me" Kaylus still whispered as he leaned across the little table.

His voice was oddly soft as he stared at her, the tears gone now as he smiled almost genuinely as it seemed to touch his eyes. The game was coming to a close or at least he was no longer playing the one she may recognize. Kaylus hadn't lost his appetite, he'd stay here long after Rexanna left, and he'd bask in the stares and whispers as if they were sweet summer rays. Because they did nothing to him, his reputation was marred already and a little outburst at a cafe would do nothing else but pile on top of what others considered toxic. All he wanted was a genuine reaction, when Rexanna had let fire enter her voice, that was the only time he had given her a modicum of respect.
Kaylus