This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
Home Discord Wiki Characters Players Joining Guide Search
how you live today
Private  — Cian
Loves: 1 ·
Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him/His
0'
Radio DJ/Information Broker
Inactive
So darling, don't say that I'm lazy
When nothing is what I'm trying to do
For the most part the route consisted of solid stone or wooden rooves, though occasionally Adam would lead them over a corrugated iron awning or a beam that seemed sketchy; everything held under the weight, as if supported just by Adam's apparent lack of concern about them being even able to collapse.

Cian told the beginning of a story, leaving it just where it got interesting. Adam stopped at the edge of the roof they were on and turned to face the other man, one eyebrow raised. "Right, but what were you doing instead?" He asked, seemingly delighted about the possibility of doing something secret and certainly not concerned about the legality of it. A thought came to mind and he excitedly ask: "Did you steal a train?!"
For though my trajectory's hazy
I'm determined and I'm coming for you
ADAM
Base Code by Sky!
Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him
6'
Unemployed
Inactive
we're dying to live
and we're living to die
Cian follows at a short distance, perhaps to make sure Adam makes it before he tries crossing something himself. While he trusts Adam's abilities, he did not quite trust his own and felt more concern than he let show.When Adam then stopped and turned around, Cian had to go over his thoughts quickly again to decide what more to tell. A snort and a quiet chuckle leaves him when Adam asks if a whole train was stolen.

"No, we did not quite steal that much. A train would be very difficult to get away with and to hide. We eh... Often kept to smaller stuff. Things that would take a while for someone to notice. Preferably by another train station far away were things were unpacked. It sort of depended on what one could currently fence or what someone wanted us to get our hands on."

He takes a short moment to look out over the view, and up towards the plates far above. "Used to run with a gang like that, few years ago now. Got our hands on things for others, ran deliveries with payment under the table... That sort of thing." And here he is, stuck in the city because he decided to put one foot back into that world.
CIAN

The reader of this text has standing permission for responsible powerplay and to use physical/magical force against this character.
Instant killing and permanently maiming not included.

Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him/His
0'
Inactive
Honestly, Adam was impressed to see the jump: most people unused to his way of traversal would have probably tried to crawl it or something (absolutely the wrong move, but a good many felt safer with knees and hands all on a solid surface).

"Take a while to notice...you mean like, boring important shit like food, or cool stuff like drugs and jewels?" One type of thief was much more glamourous than the other, that was for sure. While he understood the necessity of the first kind (he himself was depending on someone to get him food for the next week), it would be much cooler to be walking with the second. Pausing for a moment on a ridge as Cian did, he looked back and nodded.

Glance turned back over the city horizon, he asked into the air: "You ever consider taking on that kind of work again? Plenty to do in the Drench like that."
ADAM
Base Code by Sky!
Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him
6'
Unemployed
Inactive
we're dying to live
and we're living to die
"Well, for example... I remember once we had someone wanting to get hold of some fancy dyes. So we picked out some jars of that dye powder from boxes at the bottom of the stack. No one will notice anything's been opened until they start unloading the crates at another station. Nor really notice any difference in weight when carrying them if there is only a few things missing from each." Cian can't help but smirk ever so slightly at Adam's interest, and keeps his face turned upwards toward the Plates.

"Sure, some times people took food, but mostly for themselves if they needed it. No client ever asked for us to get food. As for drugs... Who knows. We sometimes had to move packages from one point to the other and were rarely told was what in them. Did not really matter to us. Just deliver, get paid, don't ask too much. Make money for the gang makes money for yourself."

With a quiet sigh, Cian shrugs and seems to ponder the last question. He had sort of started going down that route already, with delivering that package to the city and now this. The letters with unknown content in his pocket. "I eh... I have stayed away from it for a few years now, but then I got stuck in this city and well... Not many are keen to hire honest workers up there right now." He gestures towards the Plates. "But... One's got to eat. Honestly, I don't know what's in these letters, but I just need to deliver them as they are or I am probably out on the street." It might be why he was so willing to share his history right now. Answer question, get taken to the place he needed to be at. He could not afford stumbling around blindly and risk not finding the place at all, or run into other kinds of trouble.
CIAN

The reader of this text has standing permission for responsible powerplay and to use physical/magical force against this character.

Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him/His
0'
Inactive
"Nice." Adam nodded approvingly, the romance of robbing things on a train clearly impressive to him; it reminded him of books he had been read as a child by his mother about charming highwaymen and swashbuckling pirates (figures who, though he would never admit it, he often tried to embody now).

They were almost there now, travel in the Drench going much faster when one took the rooftops. He started walking again, a little carefully now as they travelled over a corrugated metal roof, which seemed a bit wobbly in the bolts that held it to the wall, though it still took both of their weights - for the moment. "Lotsa people end up doing shit they didn't expect to here. I mean, I didn't think I'd be doing what I do, but here I am. Not that it's illegal....technically. Kinda." Adam shrugged, not actually quite sure where his broadcasts lay in current law.

The building the letters were addressed to was only a couple of rooves away now and he began to look for a way down, strolling along the edge of a stone awning as he hummed and asked: "You going to take a peek in one? I would."
ADAM
Base Code by Sky!
Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him
6'
Unemployed
Inactive
we're dying to live
and we're living to die
Cian follows across the metal roof with a bit less confidence than before, holding is arms out slightly as if prepared to catch himself should he slip and fall. Or of the metal were to come loose from the bolts. Though he does not seem too fearful. If anything, a hint of excitement might be shining in his eyes. Perhaps this did bring him back a bit to his younger days. A few years ago younger, but still! Even if it had given him a lot of trouble, he sure had been drawn into it very easily.

When asked about the letters, Cian places a hand over them briefly to make sure they are still safe in his pocket, then shakes his head with a low sigh. "Tempted, but not this time. Got this job from the guy owning the motel I am renting a room at and this is the first one I get from him. I want to come of as reliable as a first impression, you know? It is in exchange for paying for another period. Buying me a bit more time to scrape together some money to pay for the next one. Besides, they are sealed well and I have no way of opening them and resealing without it being noticeable."

One might ask why he just did not give up the room and moved to a cheaper one down below. That thought has crossed Cian's mind as well. Though something made it feel more useful if he had a spot up top and could move between the Plates and the Drench.

"So, what is it you usually do then? Besides taking strangers for a stroll on the roofs." Cian had been rambling on so much about himself in exchange for the help, but just following up on what Adam had mentioned did not seem like a pushy question to ask.
CIAN

Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him/His
0'
Inactive
"Hm. Just curious what a Plates motel owner has to deliver down here." Adam mumbled with a frown. His first thought was something related to drugs, but as far as he knew the Plates had their own dealers much more suited to their hoighty-toighty expectations, that gave out their substances in velvet bags or something like that. Anything else...well, it would certainly be interesting to see.

Finding a suitable path down, Adam began to squeeze himself into a thin gap between two buildings, using his arms and legs pushed outwards to slow himself as he slowly edged towards the street. Laughing at Cian's question, as he reached the bottom he shook his head. "I mean, to be honest, a lot of it is just random shit people ask me to do. But my main thing is that I know things. I find things out and I tell people about 'em. Usually on the radio." He knew better than to give a specific frequency or many more details, what with Cian being from the Plates, but it was obvious he was quite proud of his job from how he spoke about it.

Pausing before he moved on to fish out a cigarette (homerolled and messy at that) and light it, Adam nodded towards the building ahead. "That's it. You actually gotta meet anyone, or are you just dropping it off in a door? If you're about to get jumped I don't wanna go in with you."
ADAM
Base Code by Sky!
Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him
6'
Unemployed
Inactive
we're dying to live
and we're living to die
"Mhm, I would snoop if it was less of a risk..." Cian mumbles in return, aware of the possibility that there could be information in the envelopes one could make some money from. However, he had already decided that something like that would have to wait until he gets something from someone that isn't the landlord.

He snaps out of his thoughts as they near the destination and Adam begins climbing down. Cian leans over the edge and watches while feeling more confidence leaving him. It was too late to back out now and he slowly makes his own decent. It goes well, until there is perhaps a couple of meters left. Then he starts to feel his strength failing to keep his arms and legs pressed against the walls, and he decides to simply drop down onto the street. Luckily, he lands on his feet and manages to keep his balance and not fall on his face. Or on Adam.

"Knowing things is always useful. Perhaps I should find myself a radio and tune in." He says with a small chuckle as he brushes himself off of dust from the walls before stepping forward to look at the building. He was curious to know more about what it was Adam was knowing and doing, but knew not to push it further. "I am just supposed to drop them off in a door... And hope no one comes rushing out." He pauses and takes a slow breath, feeling the nervousness creeping in. "But hey, thanks a bunch for getting me over here. I'll owe you some. And no, I won't ask you to go in there too, getting me here is enough. It's even fine if you want to go back to your own business and let me find my own way back." Cian offers Adam a small smile and hopes to hide his own anxiety.
CIAN

Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him/His
0'
Inactive
Once upon a time, Adam had fallen over and over across the Drench - there wasn't an alley that he couldn't say he hadn't smacked to the ground in. For that reason, he only smiled and patted Cian on the back as he made a swift and clearly accidental descent.

"Maybe you should. Though I'll only give out the frequency if I know I can trust ya. No hard feelings." Cian had already seen his face and knew he had a show; there were only so many risks he could take before Adam would begin to get paranoid of enforcers hiding under the bed. Thankfully, at least, Cian didn't want him to go into the building (which just seemed like bad news).

Nodding, pausing to take an inhale from his smoke and blow out a few lazy smoke circles that rose up into the air, he shrugged. "Go do your thing. I'll stay out here for ten minutes and have this ciggie. If I'm still here when you get out, we can go together." It wasn't like he had much better to do, anyway, and he was curious to see if Cian came out untouched.
ADAM
Base Code by Sky!
Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him
6'
Unemployed
Inactive
we're dying to live
and we're living to die
Cian nods in response to Adam saying he will wait for a bit. He walks briskly over towards the entrance, his mask falling a soon as he has his back turned towards Adam and he lets the anxiety creep out. Once inside, he quickly searches for the right door, finding it soon as well.

Standing in front of it, Cian took the envelopes out and gave them a last look while fighting against the growing hesitation. It was like that package all over again, the one he delivered to the city just a few days before the explosion happened. The letters could contain anything. All from regular personal letters to something related to the current situation. Cian did not want to be involved, but he felt like he had no choice now. He had gotten this far and he knew he would be out and probably in dept one way or the other if he returned with the letters. If he chose to get rid of them and claim they were delivered, he would be found out sooner or later.

So before he could think much more, he slips the letters into the mail slot in the door and turned to briskly walk away. Though he only got to the end of the corridor before the door opened and he heard a grunt behind him. It was no 'Wait' or any words. Just a sound to catch his attention. Cian freezes in place and looks over his shoulder. The door was cracked open enough for someone in there to be able to peek outside, and said someone was holding something out through the crack. Swallowing hard, Cian turns and walks back to the door. The item held out towards him turns out to be a thicker, smaller envelope. The hidden person inside rattles it at him and Cian reaches out to take it. No hand shoots out to grab him. No knife to stab his arm or any guns glinting in the dark of the apartment inside. He snatches the envelope, quickly feeling something that most likely is coin inside before he hides in a pocket inside his jacket. "Take back" a very gruff voice rumbles at him and the person closes the door and Cian hears it being locked up. It only takes so much self control from him to walk out of the building without breaking into a run.

The whole thing took less than ten minutes. Or did it take exactly ten? Twelve? Maybe it only took eight minutes. Cian at least had lost the sense of time. Perhaps it only took five. Whichever it was, he pushes the entrance door up with his shoulder and starts looking around for Adam the moment he is back out on the street, trying what he can to once again hide his anxiety behind a more neutral mask. And calm his damn breathing...
CIAN