This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
Home Discord Wiki Characters Players Joining Guide Search
[STAKE OUT] The Horror, The Legend, The Toad
Core Quest  — Informants (+anyone else)
Loves: 1 ·
Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him
6'
Enforcer
Inactive
SUNJATA
don't know what you're thinking of
do i chip away or keep defenses up?
He’s successful in his attempts to go unnoticed by name so far, and with it a small breath of relief slips from him as he approaches a smidge closer to listen better to Toady. All of it is information he wouldn’t otherwise know of, and he tries to soak it in on the off chance he’d ever need it again. There’s a part of him that hopes that he doesn’t, however, but he still peers out in the directions offered, working his jaw as he starts to watch others peel off toward other directions.

And in order to try and get himself away from everyone else further, Sunjata picks east in the hopes that perhaps the difficulty to see through the reeds and marshes would provide a boon for the giant amphibian.

Sunjata goes east!
don't make a sound, if it gets too loud
will you hear me come around?
Height
Occupation
Class
She/Her
5'4"
Soldier
Inactive
Savera
I've trusted lies and trusted men
Luckily the "information broker" from the bar doesn't seem to recognize her; nor does the enforcer, though she cannot help but feel a jolt of familiarity at his posture. It can't be... and yet as Toady talks Savera grows more and more certain. Her fiancee has managed to find his way down to the Drench again. She's not sure if she should be impressed or appalled.

But Savera is not here to babysit Sunjata, and so as the odd 'monster hunter' gives information she is scanning faces and reactions. And oh, it isn't hard to spot the contempt that dances over one particular face, the curve of a sneer on feminine lips. It looks like trouble, and a challenge as well. So when it comes time for the group to split into their respective directions, of course she opts for the same one as the other woman, expression carefully neutral while she picks her way with surprising practice through the marshy bog.

Savera goes North
broke down and put myself
back together again
Height
Occupation
Class
0'2"
Variable
Stake Out
If you go down in the woods today, you're sure of a big surprise
All the volunteer toad-hunters split off into their chosen directions and Toady, perhaps using the time to finely hone his mental skills, opted to lean against a tree once they'd all gone and light a large, grubby cigar.

---

To the East, Sunjata quickly finds himself completely enmeshed in a field of tall reeds left to grow wild, some of them reaching over his head. There were certainly a lot of things using this opportunity to hide - bugs that when disturbed would buzz angrily around, squishy messes left underfoot in the dense roots. Perhaps if he was careful to not move too many of the tall plants, he could take a glimpse into the wild world before him and hopefully, a toad within it.

To the North, Savera and Ira would discover that the mud here was no joke: it clung to boots, sucking and pulling as the victim tried to remove themselves. Toad or no toad, they weren't going to go far unless they found a way to move that limited their sinking. Just how deep the pit was was unclear, but it wouldn't take much time at all before their ankles began to descend into the mud too...

To the West, Adam and Cian would have a relatively easy time walking across the land, but the heat coming from the bright sun above would take it's toll. As the heat grows, it's hard to know whats real and whats a mirage, but before them they will see something awfully like a webbed foot jump behind a rock - can they sneak over without alerting it's owner?

--
This is a DEX roll for everyone.

Post your character reacting to the situation above and your stats will be rolled for you by the next round.

Please post by 14/03/2023.

No post order!
If you go down in the woods today, you'd better go in disguise
Height
Occupation
Class
She/Her
5'7"
Server/Barback
Inactive
you can throw me to the wolves
Ira
Throwing a glance over her shoulder, Ira notices that the armed uniform has decided to go the same way. Looking ahead again, she presses her lips together and takes a slow breath to push down the annoyance. At least she can try to ignore the Plater looking woman for as long as possible.

She moves carefully. Wriggling her boots free of the mud before taking the next step, watching where she is placing her feet. Looking for any spot that seems more solid, that might hold some rocks or even some remnants of tufts of grass or something to make it a bit more stable and not just being pure mud. However, before getting too much further out into the mud pit, she turns starts moving along side it while still being on somewhat traversable ground.

She makes sure to not walk too slow to hopefully minimize the risk of starting to sink too far, but also not too fast to end up tripping herself in the mud. Her eyes scanning the ground around and ahead of her for any toad prints.
tomorrow I will come back leader of the whole pack
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2023, 08:51 PM by Ira.)

The reader of this text has standing permission for responsible powerplay and to use physical/magical force against this character.
Instant killing and permanently maiming not included.
Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him
6'
Unemployed
Inactive
I am asking myself
when will I learn
"Never in my life." He responds to Adam with a grin. "Some time's gotta be the first, eh? Or at least I might come away with a fun story." He shrugs and goes back to trying to spot anything other than shimmering air and dust, shielding his eyes with a hand and probably regretting not having a hat. Or choosing to walk into the reeds instead. The blazing sun being much worse than he had first anticipated.

He catches the movement by the rock and squints at it through the bright sunlight, then reaches out to tap Adam on the arm to get his attention. "Hold on... Did you see that?" He says in a quieter voice and gestures over towards the rock where he is sure he had seen something move. He comes to a halt and continues staring towards the rock as if hoping to see some more movement to confirm he saw what he thinks he saw, head turning a bit to the side as if listening for any toad-like noises.

He throws a glance in the direction of Toady, debating if he should call out or of that would just risk scaring the potential toad away. Instead, he slowly starts moving out in an arch in hopes of getting a glimpse of what might be on the other side of the rock from a safer distance.
CIAN

The reader of this text has standing permission for responsible powerplay and to use physical/magical force against this character.

Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him/His
0'
Radio DJ/Information Broker
Inactive
Adam
Maybe I'm my own greatest fear
"I've seen people that've gotten bitten by these things - y'know, the ones that make it." Adam said dramatically, a flourish accompanying his words. Of course, had he actually known anything about the creature they were chasing, he would know that biting wasn't a concern, but the old man who had run the sweet shop when he was a kid had told a gang of fascinated street children that the scar on his arm had been the fault of such a toad.

Adam had never thought to question it.

The sun before them was so bright and hot he was barely looking forwards and only caught what he thought might be glimpse of what Cian saw. "Uhh. Dunno, but let's check it out." Setting off a few feet behind Cian (NOT because he was scared), Adam tried his best to keep his footsteps quiet on the cracking mud as he approached the rock.
Maybe I'm too scared to admit that
Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him
6'
Enforcer
Inactive
SUNJATA
don't know what you're thinking of
do i chip away or keep defenses up?
It is a bit of a tangle of wild reeds and buzzing bugs that have him doing his best to try and avoid them (mainly because he isn’t sure if he’ll get stung or bit somehow, and he’s thankful for once for the way his enforcer’s uniform covers the majority of his body. So he trudges on, careful to not disturb too many things, stepping over the more wild root structures, finding footing that wouldn’t allow him to trip himself up.

And when he finally reaches a spot that seems particularly wild, he does his best to keep the reeds mainly in the same space, trying to peek between them to see if anything of note has decided to call it home.

Sunjata tries not to disturb the reeds to much and peeks through them to see if there’s anything there!
don't make a sound, if it gets too loud
will you hear me come around?
Height
Occupation
Class
She/Her
5'4"
Soldier
Inactive
Savera
I've trusted lies and trusted men
Silence it is. Savera arches a brow in amusement at the other woman's pointed ignoring, following along at a distance of about ten feet behind and to the left. The ground is soft and pliable, and before long the soldier finds herself slowing down as she carefully seeks out dry patches on which to step. This was definitely the wrong choice she thinks with a frown, already picturing how long it will take to get her uniform clean.

Shaking off the irritation, she focuses back on searching the mud for frog tracks. This will all be worth it if she can bring back a report of success, she thinks. Something to prove her return to the field wasn't entirely premature.

Vera tries to walk on dry ground and looks for tracks!
broke down and put myself
back together again
Height
Occupation
Class
0'2"
Variable
Stake Out
If you go down in the woods today, you're sure of a big surprise
Adam and Cian approached quietly and carefully. Almost as if they had years of toad-hunting experience, their flawless technique got them to the rock without alerting any of the creatures beyond. And yes, creatures plural - whether it was a heat mirage or reality, both Cian and Adam would see behind the rock not one big toad, but three small ones, who all froze and stared up at their new observers. How to proceed? How to catch three baby venomous toads?

Savera successfully navigated the mud, though it perhaps had more to do with luck than skill - indeed, through no fault of her own, Ira stepped in a particularly deep puddle and within seconds would find her leg trapped up to the knee. Pulling herself free ought to be her first priority. Savera might spot, just ahead, a couple of suspiciously round and moving shapes in the mud. Will she go ahead to grasp the maybe-toads or stay to help her partner?

Sunjata peeked through the reeds, but all he would see would be more reeds. Plenty of bugs and other little critters, but no toads. Will he turn back or continue and try to move more reeds?

----
Roll Results:

Adam: Success
Cian: Success
Ira: Fail
Savera: Meh
Sunjata: Meh
If you go down in the woods today, you'd better go in disguise
Height
Occupation
Class
She/Her
5'7"
Server/Barback
Inactive
you can throw me to the wolves
Ira
The ground had looked fine, but it turns out to just be the very thin surface that had been baked by the sun and it all starts with her foot just going down into the wet mud. Swearing under her breath, Ira tries to remain calm as she sinks. She folds her other leg in under her to simply sit down to distribute her small weight out over the more somewhat solid ground part of her was standing on. Getting all muddy being the least of her problems.

At least she knows to not start thrashing around and causing the mud to suck her down even further. Going up on her hands and knee, she tries to get a hold of the ground and old grass tufts to find some kind of leverage with her hands. Whether she receives any help or not from Savera, she will try to slowly pull her leg out of the mud to crawl her way over to more solid ground to stand on.

Ira is trying to crawl/pull herself free of the mud with or without help.
tomorrow I will come back leader of the whole pack