This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
Home Discord Wiki Characters Players Joining Guide Search
[STAKE OUT] The Horror, The Legend, The Toad
Core Quest  — Informants (+anyone else)
Loves: 1 ·
Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him
6'
Unemployed
Inactive
I am asking myself
when will I learn
Cian stops and blinks in confusion as he is stared back at by not one, but three toads. He slowly takes a couple of steps away and regards them with caution. "Either the big one got backup, or it can split into copies of itself." He says quietly and rubs a hand over his face as he can feel the heat trying to burn a hole in his skull.

He has no idea what so ever how to catch a trio of poisonous toads, no more than he has catching one large one and decides to simply turn to the expert. Backing up a bit more, he looks in the direction of Toady and lifts an arm in hopes to get the frog hunter's attention and wave him over. Still not really daring to call our, in case it will scare the toads away and bring them back to square one. Though perhaps they would lead them to the big one, he felt better leaving any decisions to the one knowing what they are doing.

Cian hangs back and tries to get the attention of Toady to wave him over.
CIAN

The reader of this text has standing permission for responsible powerplay and to use physical/magical force against this character.
Instant killing and permanently maiming not included.

Height
Occupation
Class
She/Her
5'4"
Soldier
Inactive
Savera
I've trusted lies and trusted men
Savera is too focused on her own footing to notice Ira's descent into the mud - at least, not until it's too late, and the other woman is already sunk. Having found her own footing and realized the stranger was no longer ahead, the Soldier glances back and is amused to Ira scrambling to free herself. She pauses a moment, considering the scene; but it's only a leg that's sunken, no real risk to life or limb, and besides, the Drencher seems to be doing just fine on her own. Or she isn't asking for help, anyway.

So Savera focuses her attention instead on the suspicious looking blobs. Drawing her sword, the woman steps forward, trying to avoid making excess noise or alerting the possibly-toads. Her goal is still observation, not combat; she isn't up to 100% yet, and besides, there's an expert on hand. No reason to start a ruckus without backup on hand.

Vera abandons Ira (lol sry) and goes to investigate the blobs, trying to be sneaky
broke down and put myself
back together again
Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him/His
0'
Radio DJ/Information Broker
Inactive
Adam
Maybe I'm my own greatest fear
Peeking over the rock as he and Cian got close, Adam gasped then clapped a hand over his mouth as he remembered they were being sneaky. "Oh shit, babies." He mumbled through his fingers, leaning in closer to get a better look with apparently no respect of the fact that these were poisonous toads.

He glanced up to see Cian waving over the strange toad hunter - probably the smart approach, but Adam had always been one to act first and ask questions later. "Can probably use the babies to bait the big one or something. I'm sure we can just-" Pulling the sleeve of his jacket over his hand, he reached down to try and pluck one of the smaller toads up, hoping to put it in his held-out shirt and bring it back to Toady.

--

Adam tries to pick up one of the baby toads.
Maybe I'm too scared to admit that
Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him
6'
Enforcer
Inactive
SUNJATA
don't know what you're thinking of
do i chip away or keep defenses up?
There’s a moment of excitement as he pulls the reeds back and sees some movement, but as he focuses on the moving grasses and reeds, he finds absolutely nothing about a toad. His shoulders slump for a moment as more insects buzz about and the small critters dart in and out of the holes by the roots of the vegetation, and with a small heavy sigh Sunjata withdraws from it.

He peeks back on the path he’d taken, his footprints still heavy in the mud as he turns from his direction, trying to slip back toward where he’d started from, seeing as he hasn’t spotted any damaged reeds or toad footprints. But he still continues to scout for them just in case he’d gone too far.

Sunjata gives up on the direction he’s picked and turns back, looking for any damaged reeds or muddy toad prints!
don't make a sound, if it gets too loud
will you hear me come around?
Height
Occupation
Class
0'2"
Variable
Stake Out
If you go down in the woods today, you're sure of a big surprise
Cian, doing the smart thing in this situation, called out for the expert. Unfortunately for him, he was paired with Adam, who went right in with gay abandon to pick up the venemous creatures. As Toady made his way over, already yelling out not to disturb the babies, Adam dropped one - as it bounced on the ground (they were very round) it let out a shot of venom that shot up and almost hit him in the eye.

"Aw Lordie, it's got spawn. That's bad." The Toad-Catcher made of the situation, wide eyes in a weather-worn face following the toad baby as it fell. "Get 'em into the baskets and don't touch 'em if you can help it." Gesturing towards a pile of wicker baskets with lids in his pile of supplies and not elaborating on how one might gather the babies without touching them.

Luckily for Savera, she would hear this too - for indeed, the 3 little blobs in the mud before her were toads, much smaller than their target but unmistakably amphibian. Ira, who would successfully pull herself out of the mud but find herself minus one shoe, sucked into the deep sludge, would see them too.

Sunjata would turn back just in time to see Toady gesturing to the baskets at the same time he heard an impossibly high and tiny croak - another baby, peeking up between the reeds, disturbed by his pushing around.

---

Roll Results:

Cian: N/A
Adam: Fail
Ira: Meh
Savera: Success
Sunjata: Meh

This event will move to it's final round on 25/03/2023.
No post order! Help gather up babies into baskets.
If you go down in the woods today, you'd better go in disguise
Height
Occupation
Class
She/Her
5'7"
Server/Barback
Inactive
you can throw me to the wolves
Ira
She gets herself to sturdy ground before standing back up and simply decides to kick her second shoe off. To not have to walk around all unevenly, but also to not lose it as well. She'll have to go fishing in the mud later for the other one. Toady's call catches her attention and she looks over towards Savera, noticing that the Plater woman got her eyes on some toad blobs in the mud.

"I'll get us a basket! Keep an eye on them." She calls out to Savera, choosing to try and co-operate for the sake of achieving their common goal, and jogs over to the pile to pick up a basket to fit the baby toads in. Approaching more carefully, she makes her way through the mud around the other side of the toads to have them between her and Savera. "Perhaps you can try to herd them into it?" She suggests, throwing a cautious glance at the drawn sword as she crouches down in the mud with the basket to make an attempt at trapping the baby toads in it.

Be it by scooping them up in it should they indeed move from Savera, or to drop the basket upside down on them should they try to escape somewhere else.

Ira will attempt to catch the baby toads in a basket, either if Savera agrees to try and herd them into it and if not, she will try to drop the basket down over the toads.
tomorrow I will come back leader of the whole pack

The reader of this text has standing permission for responsible powerplay and to use physical/magical force against this character.
Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him/His
0'
Radio DJ/Information Broker
Inactive
Adam
Maybe I'm my own greatest fear
"Oh, motherfu- shit-" The toad fell from his hands, bouncing satisfactorily off the floor but nonetheless getting out of hand, immediately trying to scurry away. "Cian, uh, can you grab that one?" Adam asked, trying to still manage the wriggling amphibian trapped inside his shirt. Hoping that his partner here would get the freedom seeking toad he turned and headed towards whichever basket was closest, aiming to drop the toad from his shirt inside.

Once he'd reached the basket, Adam knelt down and gently flopped the toad out from his shirt - prepared to try and stop it from bouncing out (the idea to turn the basket upside down, which would have been very useful, had not yet come to him), but hoping it might be stunned enough to simply accept it's fate.

---
Adam asks Cian to handle the toad he dropped and takes the other to a basket.
Maybe I'm too scared to admit that
Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him
6'
Unemployed
Inactive
I am asking myself
when will I learn
He looks on with a frightened expression as the baby toad bounces on the ground, spitting its poison into the air. Knowing that even the small ones area dangerous, Cian feels even less eager to get any closer to them and looks a bit helpless when Adam asks that very thing of him. "But we're not supposed to t-..." He starts and then flails his arms out from his sides in an even more helpless shrug as Adam carries one toad away to the baskets.

With a sigh, he pulls off his own shirt and quickly throws it over the toad before it can escape. He's technically not touching it directly if there is fabric in between, right? He bundles the toad up in the shirt and as soon as he lifts it up, he gets an idea. No clue if it is a stupid one or not, he does what he can to focus and walk at the same time and starts channeling small vibrating energies through his arms and hands and into the toad bundle. His hopes are that it will confuse and stun the poor creature enough to simply stay still while he hurries over to trap it within a basket.

Cian traps a baby toad in his shirt and tries to keep it still and confused with magic tricks while taking it to a basket.
CIAN

Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him
6'
Enforcer
Inactive
SUNJATA
don't know what you're thinking of
do i chip away or keep defenses up?
Movement catches the young Enforcer’s eye, noticing the baskets and almost makes a move for it before he spies a small toad peeking up at him through the reeds. And while Sunjata hadn’t heard the warning too much of not touching them, something about the name Venomous Toads has him immediately against trying to pick the little one up.

His thought process is a lot like Cian’s in this regard, where he sheds an outer layer of clothes (his enforcer gear, namely) and tries to push between the reeds to use it to trap the frog into it like a little makeshift bag. And he quietly hopes and prays to Tsungata that it works.

Sunjata has a similar thought to Cian and tries to capture the toad with an outer layer of his enforcer gear to scoop it into it to bring back to a basket!
don't make a sound, if it gets too loud
will you hear me come around?
Height
Occupation
Class
0'2"
Variable
Stake Out
If you go down in the woods today, you're sure of a big surprise
Ira, on her own, manages to catch one of the baby toads - perhaps she would have fared better with Savera to help, but it seems she will be handling this solo from now on.

Adam and Cian catch both, though Cian is much more delicate with his toad. Together they get the two toads in the basket.

Sunjata manages to catch the toad in his Enforcer gear, but he will find that as soon as he does an acrid smell rises up from the creature - it appears, in it's fear (or maybe defiance), the toad has peed in his armour.

Toady stood waiting to collect the babies in one basket, gritting his old brown teeth at the sight of quite so many spawn together. "Musta been a busy baby season. Ah well, we can use this." Smacking the top of the basket lid with a nod, he stood back with his hands on his hips. "Alright, y'all. What we're gonna do is put this basket out there and wait for the mumma to come look for her little ones. These toads, they look after their young for a few weeks at least. I'm surprised one of yous didn't get attacked!" He laughed; it would be unclear if Toady was serious or not.

He would guide everyone to hide behind a fallen log, watching the basket of toads, lid off, shake every so often as the small creatures objected to their capture. "You gotta wait for the right moment...then...jump!"

It would be a good ten minutes before a disturbance in the reeds could be seen, the rumbling growing closer and closer until a colossal toad bounded into the clearing, towards the basket.

"Thar she is!"

----
This is the final round.

There's nets, sticks, rope and baskets to use - how does your character try to catch the large toad?

Please reply by 03/04/2023
----
Roll Results:

Ira Meh
Adam Meh
Cian Success
Sunjata Meh

Savera did not reply in time and is out of the Stake Out!
If you go down in the woods today, you'd better go in disguise
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2023, 09:29 AM by NPC Public.)