This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
Home Discord Wiki Characters Players Joining Guide Search
[STAKE OUT] The Horror, The Legend, The Toad
Core Quest  — Informants (+anyone else)
Loves: 1 ·
Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him
6'
Enforcer
Inactive
SUNJATA
don't know what you're thinking of
do i chip away or keep defenses up?
There’s excitement that lingers when he manages to capture the small toad, even if most of his protective gear was used to cover it up and ensure it didn’t escape or cause damage to his hands. Yet from the scent, it seems as if that’s one of the last things he has to worry about, now trying to figure out how the fuck he was going to get that out of his uniform or if it were simply a lost cause after that point.

Still, he deposits the toad into the basket, follows Toady to the little hideaway spot, and tries to stay as far away from the others as he can, working his jaw as he keeps his gaze focused on the basket. The toad that does appear to retrieve them is surprisingly large and Sunjata for half a second feels his heartbeat thunder in his throat at the idea of trying to capture this giant creature.

So he picks the net, deciding to try and tangle up the toad’s legs to keep it from jumping away in the hopes it might deter it from leaping clear out of the way.

Sunjata grabs some nets and tries to tangle the toad’s legs up so it can’t jump away!
don't make a sound, if it gets too loud
will you hear me come around?
Height
Occupation
Class
She/Her
5'7"
Server/Barback
Inactive
you can throw me to the wolves
Ira
One baby toad is more than none and Ira is content with it, hurrying over to drop the toad off with the others before finding a good spot in hiding. She keeps an eye on the surroundings, waiting and feeling a sort of tense nervous feeling growing with each minute of nothing happening. Then when momma toad appears, she can't help but stare at first. She knew they were after a giant toad, but not that it would be this giant.

She tries to think of something fast, having no idea how one would catch the creature, and Sunjata moves first to throw a net at the toad. Ira gets hold of a rope and quickly makes a loop at one end while moving around to behind the toad, then swings it out in an attempt to slip it over the toad's head to more or less leash it.

Ira sneaks up behind the toad and tries to loop a rope around its body.
tomorrow I will come back leader of the whole pack

The reader of this text has standing permission for responsible powerplay and to use physical/magical force against this character.
Instant killing and permanently maiming not included.
Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him
6'
Unemployed
Inactive
I am asking myself
when will I learn
Cian hides with the others and spends most of the time waiting contemplating if it is safe for him to put on his shirt again or not, eventually deciding to put it back on after making sure the side that touched the toad is on the outside. He is too distracted with this to recognize the disguised Sunjata even a little bit, and then the arrival of the giant toad steals all of his attention.

The sight of it stuns him as much as anyone else, but he is not eager what so ever to get anywhere close to it. Still, he did sign up to help and decides to try and not be too useless. So he picks up the longest stick he can find of those available and holds onto one end to be as far away as possible when he starts to prod the giant toad with the other end. His hope is that it will distract the toad enough to pay attention to the stick and not to those moving around trying to capture it.

Cian uses a long stick to poke the toad in an attempt to keep it distracted while other people try to capture it.
CIAN

The reader of this text has standing permission for responsible powerplay and to use physical/magical force against this character.

Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him/His
0'
Radio DJ/Information Broker
Inactive
Adam
Maybe I'm my own greatest fear
Adam, much less concerned with poisonous-toad-safety than his companion, simply wiped his hand on his shirt as he went to kneel where Toady told them to, fidgeting impatiently while they waited for the larger toad to come out. He'd never been good at waiting, especially in a big wide expanse of nothing without even a drink in his hand. When the damn thing finally showed up, he was close to leaving and telling them all good luck.

As it happened, the toad arrived just in time. Widening his eyes at just how big it was, Adam watched as everyone went forward to try and catch it with gusto. Between ropes, nets and sticks they seemed to have it handled, but he could do his usual and try to add a bit of flair. Grabbing one of the large baskets, with a 'YAAAH', he ran forwards and slammed it upside-down over the toad, cementing it's fate.

---
Adam puts a basket over the toad.
Maybe I'm too scared to admit that
Height
Occupation
Class
0'2"
Variable
Stake Out
If you go down in the woods today, you're sure of a big surprise
Adam and Sunjata both succeeded to do what they aimed to, but it was quickly obvious this toad was stronger than they had given it credit for - the nets began to fray and snap at the seams almost instantly and Adam would find holding the basket down was something that took considerable effort and would not stay forever. Ira's efforts with the rope would prove to be difficult as the toad moved and flexed it's large muscles, making it hard to get a tight grip around it.

Thankfully, Cian had an idea which would save the day. The toad stopped struggling against it's captors immediately as the stick was jabbed into it's side, instead turning to snap and bite at the offending object poking into it's flab. This distraction would stop it from moving or straining long enough to give the other three a chance to secure their methods of capture.

"Ye got it!" Toady gleefully shouted, springing up from his spot behind the log (where, if anyone had paid attention, he had stayed during this entire struggle) and clapping his hands, coming forwards to grab onto the net and rope holding the now-sulking toad in the basket. "Never seen a team a toad-wranglers so good, and your first time! Thank ye." Exactly what he planned to do with the toad was unsaid, but he would swiftly be gone with it.

Some time in the next week, wherever they were, the participants would receive a mysterious vial, filled with a creamy red liquid, labelled 'from Toady'.

----
Roll Results:

Sunjata - Meh
Cian - VERY GOOD Success
Ira - Fail
Adam - Meh

----
Thank you for participating in this Stake Out event! You can post a final post if you'd like. This thread will be archived in a couple of days.
Everyone who made it to the final round gets +1 DEX and also:

Toad Venom Vial
A vial filled with venom from a Slogs Toad. Not enough to kill someone, but if ingested it will make someone very sick for a couple of days. It is a cloudy red colour and thick in consistency.
If you go down in the woods today, you'd better go in disguise
Height
Occupation
Class
She/Her
5'7"
Server/Barback
Inactive
you can throw me to the wolves
Ira
At first it seemed like they would succeed, then it turns to looking more like the toad is about to escape them when it gets distracted by the poking enough to finally get wrangled into the basket properly. She withdraws a bit, though, just to be on a safe distance in case the toad makes it out of the basket and decides to take revenge.

She takes notice of Toady coming up from behind their cover and she raises a brow at it, but decides to keep silent while he picks up the basket. When Toady is well out of the way, she lets out a huff. "Well, he was a whole heap of unhelpful." She mutters quietly. After giving her fellow Drencher a pat on the shoulder as a silent 'good job', barely sparing the other two an extra glance, she heads off to make at least one attempt at wrangle her shoe back from the mud pit.
tomorrow I will come back leader of the whole pack

Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him
6'
Unemployed
Inactive
I am asking myself
when will I learn
He is very happy he is at the other end of the long stick when the toad starts to snap at it, but it doesn't keep him from getting worried it will soon ignore the stick entirely and launch at his face instead. Luckily, the toad is captured before it can get the chance to do anything of the sort and Cian drops the stick to back away and let Toady take over.

That the so called toad expert had stayed in hiding is nothing Cian reflects over and he sits down on the log while Toady gives them his thanks and carries the basket away. Starting to feel too much of the sun's effect, he gets to his feet again with a low grunt. "Think that's enough nature for me for a while. Gonna escape back to the shade, see you around some time." He offers to Adam, giving him and the masked Sunjata a nod before hurrying back towards the shelter of the Drench. Ira has already taken off and Cian still hasn't figure out who is actually hiding behind the disguise.

Thank you again for the event! <3
CIAN