This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.
Home Discord Wiki Characters Players Joining Guide Search
Burning glances, turning heads
Private  — For Sunjata
Loves: 0 ·
Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him/His
0'
Radio DJ/Information Broker
Inactive
ADAM
They got a file on me and it's a mile long
And they say that they got all of the proof
"You did well in the fucked up drowning test then?" Adam asked, not hesitating at all to call the tradition what it was - he'd had a hard time believing it was real, when he'd first heard about it, but years of observing the Plates had taken away the shock. He would feel sorry for the Platers, if they didn't all grow up to be assholes who did the same things to their kids...though looking across at Sunjata, he felt for the first time he was looking at one that wouldn't.

A mischevious grin spread over Adam's face as Sunjata confirmed he had thought of assassination, as if they were speaking about a prank. Staring up at the ceiling (higher than it ever would be in the Drench, clean and patterned), he imagined what it might look like tomorrow if the Arbiter was killed in the night. "Sure, it wouldn't fix everything, but it'd go a hell of a long way to make people excited and to cause some fucking chaos." Maybe in the panic and mess that followed, he could gather enough people to do...something.

It was a nice fantasy, at least.

"Well. You ever thought about just like...getting in a car and driving way instead? I'll carpool with you. Just get really really far away, go on a road trip. Forget it all. I mean, it's not like it's our responsibility to fix it. I dunno if we even can." The alcohol had rubbed away a lot of his bravado and having seen the might of the Plates, the height of it's buildings and the power of it's people up close on this night, Adam was beginning to think simply leaving was a good plan.
That I'm just another case of arrested development
I'm just another wasted youth
Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him
6'
Enforcer
Inactive
kill your demons, kill 'em dead; in your mirror, in your bed
in your heart, in your head. don't you look good in red?
Doing well in it? He huffs a laugh and then follows it up with a sigh. “Sort of.” A shoulder rises and falls, “almost drowned and then when I recovered, got pinched by a bunch of asshole diving scorpions.” To this he makes a wince, suddenly leaning forward to show the little scar on his hand that clearly looks old, a small one that sits between his index finger and thumb, in the soft little span of skin there.

But then the conversation shifts entirely toward treason and perhaps it’s the alcohol that lets him speak so bluntly about the potential of murdering his father – a thought that when Adam continues, Sunjata can’t help but to both agree and internally cringe at the thought. “Good way of putting me in the prison, too.” His nose wrinkles as he thinks about it, having been there a few times with work it’s the last place he’d want to be.

As for just leaving? Gods, he wishes he could. Maybe go to Garanenz, live with his mother’s side of his family, avoid all the bullshit of Kotoll – but he’s too in deep here and his father would never agree and he needs that agreement in order to go anywhere where he could be seen. “I kind of feel like it’s part of my responsibility.” He admits quietly – not because of anything he’s done, but he’s a Bratena and for all the terrible things in this world that have happened? His family’s name has been on the vast majority.

Think I’ve got a death wish though.” His head tilts, steel gaze sliding over to look at Adam with a small crooked smile at the honesty.
SUNJATA
Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him/His
0'
Inactive
ADAM
"...And thats uh, a good result?" Adam asked, head tilting to one side; from what he knew of Shaju the man had very demanding standards and almost drowned and bitten to shit by scorpions sounded beneath them.

With a dismissive wave of his hands, Adam batted away the possibility of prison as if it were a ridiculous concern. "Prison schmison." If they could get enough people to rally around Sunjata, it would become a matter of numbers; he knew that the Drench had more. The issue was just getting them to fight, which, as his own spirit was beginning to falter, he had no idea how to accomplish.

"Man...if I had your money? I'd say fuck responsibility, fuck my dad, I'm outta here. But I haven't got the cash for a car or any kinda life outside of the Drench. ...Not that I got much of one in there either." He snorted, turning to look at Sunjata as the other man smiled and leaned his head towards him. For a moment, in his drunken mind, it seemed like a good idea to kiss him - after all, what a story, hooking up with Arbiter Jr - but immediately deciding it was far too much mess to take on, Adam cleared his throat and shuffled an inch or so away.

Staring at his boots, dirty despite his best efforts at scrubbing away the worst of the muck, Adam played with the end of the armrest of the couch as he thought. "Y'know...there's a bit of me worried you're playing a real long game. That you're bouta open the door to a bunch of enforcers who're gonna throw me off the edge of POSE right into the scratch for shitting on your dad."
Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him
6'
Enforcer
Inactive
It was a good result for me.” Sunjata shrugs, reaching up to rub at his shoulder lightly. His father hadn’t exactly been pleased he’d made it, the way the man had shoved him into the drowning trails was surely an attempt to drown him, but here he is — still persevering.

Enough so that as Adam comments about prison as if it isn’t a big deal, the young man snorts, finding that response the exact opposite of what he was expecting and couldn’t help but to find it somewhat amusing. His smile soon falters slightly, though, thoughtfulness overtaking it quickly. “I have a car, no way to get it off POINT though. Not without suspicion.” He doesn’t have much of a life outside of his project (the rebellion) either, but he decides it isn’t imperative to turn it into a pity party, even if the alcohol tries to swing him into it.

It would have absolutely given Sunjata a bit of a crisis if Adam had kissed him, but the drencher pulls away and the conversation grows more serious and Sunjata leans back, tucking an arm onto the back of the couch that he rests his head on. “I understand that.” The weariness. “I don’t know what I can do to convince you that’s not my goal. I hate my father and I hate being an enforcer and the shit we do to the Drench. I think it’s unfair the fact you all have had to suffer so much for so long and the Plates have continued on and on completely ignoring it. It’s fucked up and I don’t want to be a part of the problem anymore.” A part of the ignorant Plates problem, that is.
SUNJATA
Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him/His
0'
Inactive
ADAM
"Hm. Is there like, a guy that did a backflip and swam back in fourty seconds and you all fucking hate him?" Adam asked, imagining Plates kids comparing their fucked-up-drowning-challenge results (for what it was worth, he couldn't swim. So he certainly wouldn't do well).

Upon hearing Sunjata had a car, Adam turned to face him, leaning forward like an excited kid with wide eyes. "You do?!" He asked, then laughed, the sound giddy. "I mean, doesn't matter if you got suspicion if you're going fast enough, right? Just-" He pushed one hand behind the other quickly, making a brrm noise.

He was surprised to see quite such a long response from Sunjata, the defeated tone in his voice almost enough to convince Adam of his genuinosity right then and there - no guilty Plater would let himself look so weak and traitorous before a Drencher. With a hum, Adam stood up off the couch and wandered the contours of the room, his long legs getting stiff on the small couch. As he passed by a cabinet holding items more expensive than his apartment, he leaned on it with both elbows. "How long d'ya think you could stay in the Drench for? Before your dad notices?"
Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him
6'
Enforcer
Inactive
Somehow Adam’s response makes him laugh, a soft snort leaving him as he thinks about it. “Not that I know of. I was six. Everyone just stopped talking about it at a certain point.” If you had the band of scar tissue around your bicep as a Bratena, then you passed. Others celebrated it in other ways, but at the end of the day it was a determining factor of one’s youth and after that point you were either favored, or you weren’t.

Surprise overtakes him quickly about the car situation, his amusement shifting into an easier, crooked smile. “I’d have to find the tracker installed in it, first.” He isn’t a car guy, he doesn’t know where to even begin with sneaky hidden trackers. But that’s neither here nor there, because if he had a means to get it off of point? He would. Then maybe he’d finally get that chance to visit Garanenz again.

He watches Adam meander about the room as he makes his drunken confession, working his jaw slightly as the amusement fades in the face of honesty. “Probably twelve hours at the longest.” He offers quietly, shrugging slightly, tucking a foot underneath him and one propped up so he can wrap his arms around his knee.
SUNJATA
Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him/His
0'
Inactive
ADAM
"Wild. I mean, it's not like childhood in the Drench is fucking peachy, but...I dunno, my mum never threw me into a scorpion pool or whatever. We just didn't eat much." Adam's time growing up in the Drench had been mainly compromised of scraps in the streets, learning just how far one could push an enforcer and falling off buildings as he practiced climbing. Not a luxorious life, but perhaps one with less mind games than those up in the guilded buildings of the Plates.

As for a tracker, he waved a hand. "Not even a problem. You know how many guys there are in the Drench who take apart Plates shit? Sell the parts or work out how it works so we can get around it. I bet they'd find it in five seconds flat. Fuck, I'll have a go." He tapped his chest, then reached into his pocket to pull out a roughly wrapped smoke - he almost lit it with a lighter that came from the other pocket, but then paused and tilted it towards Sunjata. "...Can I smoke in your fancy ass place?"

The answer twelve hours wasn't quite what he was hoping for, but he nodded anyway. "Okay. Not a lotta time. You got any actual plans for how you're gonna do all this shit?"
Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him
6'
Enforcer
Inactive
He listens to Adam’s story, taking in a bit of what it was like before he comments softly. “Ah, that wasn’t something I had to worry about though.” At the end of the day, regardless of how much shit he’d gone through, he’d always had plenty to eat. Always had a roof over his head. Always had the ability to go home and curl up in his warm bed to sleep in.

But the conversation shifts towards cars and the tracker within it and Sunjata can’t help the surprise laughter that leaves him (blaming it on the alcohol), and tilts his head to look over at Adam curiously. “How’m I supposed to get it to the Drench?” He asks, unable to keep the amused smile on his face – too drunk to realize that he can’t exactly get it off POINT either.

Regardless, Sunjata nods to Adam’s request, allowing him to smoke within the confines of it as they talk more about him going into the Drench to get this started. “Not yet, it’s mostly what I’ve been waiting for. I mean… These past two months have been the most I’ve gotten out into the Drench in my entire life. I haven’t exactly gotten as far as to thinking how it’ll work out to get down there more permanently.” (Little does he know just this night is going to make it a trek down into the Drench and spur all of this, completely unprepared).
SUNJATA
Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him/His
0'
Inactive
ADAM
"I dunno man, get creative. Tell them you gotta come down and run over some poor people or something." Adam said flippantly, though feeling a little bad afterwards, he actually considered the logistics of trying to get a car down into the Drench. The lift was definitely not big enough, and it would be hard to escape notice anyway. Maybe some sort of elaborate pulley system to lower it off the edge of a Plate and catch it on the Drench?

Upon realising how bad that idea was, he gave up.

He had no idea how to get Sunjata down to the Drench for longer periods of time either, beyond just kidnapping him and hiring a plastic surgeon to change his face, but he doubted that Arbiter Jr would like that suggestion. Maybe if they were desperate.

"Keep working at it..I gotta say, with you wanting to help, it feels like we're closer than we have been in a long time at changing something. I dunno." Suddenly feeling rather flat, the alcohol sending his emotions spiralling downwards for no real good reason, Adam sighed and looked towards the door, trying to think of an excuse to go before he got morose. "Nate's probably wondering where I am. Don't want him to think I got murdered or whatever."
Height
Occupation
Class
He/Him
6'
Enforcer
Inactive
It’s fucked up, truthfully, but Sunjata’s too drunk that with the flippant way Adam states such a thing like it might work – Sunjata has to pause for a moment because it does almost sound like a reasonable excuse, though his fellow Platers would wonder what changed so suddenly in his mind to make him be so outright terribly vocal about his distaste for the Drenchers.

He’s been careful to not say much about them at all. So the comment does make him laugh, a little surprised bubble leaving him as he shakes his head. That wouldn’t work for him, nor would the logistics of getting it down there in the first place. Now if he could get it to POE they might stand a chance…

But ah, the conversation shifts and Sunjata nods, moving to stand as he notices Adam’s gaze drift toward the door. “It’s a start at least, right?” He asks, moving to collect his mask and the piece of his outfit that sits on his shoulders snugly, freezing for a second when Adam mentions Nate and he has to carefully compose himself with that literal mask and a figurative mask. “Highly doubt Nate would think that I murdered you.” He offers quietly, unsure if that’s a comment that would attract too many questions, but Sunjata does end up keeping himself carefully composed, moving to the door to gesture for Adam to follow. “Enjoy the night, okay? If I get any information or whatever I’m sure we’ll be in touch soon.

Sooner than he realizes, truthfully.
SUNJATA